Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale timing prob.

Well to start it off when i bought this car the owner said it had a bad lifter and it ticked pretty bad and so i got the car for a decent price. after drivin it for a while i wanted to fix the bad lifter. This is my first subaru and i didnt know what i was doing and totaly ripped everything on the pass. side of the motor off to get at the lifters.. i marked the timing and when i got into it found out it had 2 bad lifters.. replaced both of them;then fully put every thing back together and the timing was off so me and a bud found tdc and set it up so we could try to start it.. it didnt start right away but then i held the gas to the floor and it fired up but ran pretty bad wouldnt take any more throttle than the idle speed and if u tried to give a lil gas it would die .. also while it was running the motor was jumping around and .. weve put tons of hours into it and i am totally stuck and dont know where to go from here ... plz help..tryn2bloyal.

Sounds like you have the T-belt/cam gear out of time for the PS. Easy to do, so don't feel bad about it. The pics and text in the books are misleading, as they show both cam gears at the top for timing, but you need to rotate engine 180*.

If you didn't mess with the DS T-belt, bring the 3 lines on the flywheel back around so you're on the center one. These lines are seperate from the ignition timing marks and look like l l l .

Check position of the DS cam gear. It should either be at 12 or 6 o'clock. You need to set the PS cam gear 180* opposite of the DS cam gear.

If you messed with the disty, you'll need to re-time it. This is where you set it to TDC on #1, and check to see if rotor is pointing towards the #1 tower on the cap.

To add emphasis to what TomRhere typed:

You do NOT use TDC for setting timing belts. You need to use the three closely spaced, scribed lines on the flywheel/driveplate.

The left and right cams need to be phased 180degrees apart: When one cam sprocket has its timing mark pointing up the other cam sprocket should have its mark pointing down. Rotating the crankshaft one full revolution should reverse which is pointing up and which is pointing down.

The engine is a non-interference design: You can rotate the cam or the crankshaft and not worry about bending valves.