Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale ac compressor oil

I just happened to read label under the hood pertaining to a/c and of course I no longer user r-12, it is swapped to 134a "loosely" (waiting on new a/c condensor). Where does the a/c compressor oil called "suniso 5gs" go? I saw this on the label and drew a blank. My chiltons and other manual does not help.

Correct. Use whatever oil your R134a conversion used. You shouldn't have to add any oil unless the system depressurizes and you lose some. IIRC, the only way to check if system has proper amount of oil is to completely drain it and add the specified capacity of oil.

the only way to check if system has proper amount of oil is to completely drain it and add the specified capacity of oil.

Given the price of just 18 ounces of 134a "home refill" with a guage, I was just putting fluid in until pump kicked on, then slowed the refill way down until cold air was climbing out on these hot days. The retrofit oil for the conversion is already in, I don't want to start that all over again. Another indicator I was using is the bottle with the glass bubble-- if fluid is spraying through it does not have enough in the system (like

I have it now-- until I can be confident with a new a/c condensor). Thanks again, making this DIY project easier :) . I found releasing pressure, and not the fluid at low-side allows me to make repairs without losing actual oil. Then when adding oil it is still way under the 22-26 oz necessary for fill to get it going again.