Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Wagon EA71 engine, what engines will bolt right in?

Faticus

Newbie, what up?

Thinking about buying a 1978 Wagon w/ the EA71 engine and am curious about an "easy" engine swap for a little more juice, as I live at 9000'+ elevation in the mtns., both turbo and non-turbo apps.

If there isn't much you can do anybody know where I can find a throttle cable for this vehicle?

first off,

WELCOME!

alright now it's time for some somewhat depressing news... no bigger or better engine will bolt right into your car...

the bellhousing is all wrong (top mount vs. side mount)...

now there are two options...(as i see it)

1. you can get a new engine AND trans (an ea81 with 4 or 5sp dual range trans) and bolt that in... it won't bolt in perfectly without the crossmembers from an 81 brat so if you can find them then you're set! if not, you might need to cut and weld a little bit... or you can go nuts and slap in something bigger... (ej22 legacy motor with trans or something) the ea82 won't fit easily into the engine bay (much to wide) so it isn't for the faint of heart... although it can and has been done...

2. make your ea71 better... get a weber carburator, cam, exhaust, ignition, elec disty swap... then you'd have a pretty peppy wagon!

hope that helps...

Newbie, what up?

Thinking about buying a 1978 Wagon w/ the EA71 engine and am curious about an "easy" engine swap for a little more juice, as I live at 9000'+ elevation in the mtns., both turbo and non-turbo apps.

If there isn't much you can do anybody know where I can find a throttle cable for this vehicle?

welcome and I see you're in a close area to me. Zefy hit it right on the head as far as engine/tranny options but unfortunatly, it won't be a direct bolt in. I currently have a EA81 1.8 liter with a s/r 4wd 4speed in my '78 Brat. Was pretty much a bolt in for me but I have no front CV shafts so nothing to hit the steering column coming out of the rack.