Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy outback - timing belt question

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 98 Leg Outback with 103K. Owner said he had a timing belt break while driving last year, and has the receipt for the repair (I haven't seen it yet, but he said it was an $800 bill). He said there was smoke coming out of the car when it broke down. I took a test drive and everything seemed fine - car had good pickup and drove well. Should I be concerned? Or when a timing belt goes out when running - can everything be fixed properly without excessive engine damage?

So, how did the timing belt go out without the pistons running into the valves? Every engine post 1997 that Subaru made is interference....right?
All the 2.5 are interference motors 96 up, and 2.2 from 97 up are also I believe.

I thought the failure mode was the valves hitting each other (?) I've also picked up on this forum that not all broken timing belts result in total ruination. $800 is medium expensive lesson :rolleyes:

Could be "problem solved, lesson learned" His dime :brow:.

Remember the saying trust but verify, have the car checked and make a decision. These are nice cars! I hope you buy it.

~ Mark ~

just because its an interference motor doesnt mean you cant get lucky once in a while. the timing belkt could have "borke" on the highway, driveway, or after he shut off the car.

Also what some people call break (including mechanics) is just a jumped timing belt.

If the car runs fine and has some mileage on it after the repair, go for it.

nipper

I took a test drive and everything seemed fine - car had good pickup and drove well. Should I be concerned? Or when a timing belt goes out when running - can everything be fixed properly without excessive engine damage?

There is your answer. If the repair had not been done properly, the engine would be running poorly if at all. Also, with a recent repair like that, I would suspect that the headgaskets have been replaced with the updated ones, making the engine just a bit more reliable than before the incident. One thing to do is have the compression checked. If the compression is good on each cyl and even with each other, then you should be good to go.

i'd ask to see the receipt, just to see if the water pump and seals were done. then you know.

There is your answer. If the repair had not been done properly, the engine would be running poorly if at all. Also, with a recent repair like that, I would suspect that the headgaskets have been replaced with the updated ones, making the engine just a bit more reliable than before the incident. One thing to do is have the compression checked. If the compression is good on each cyl and even with each other, then you should be good to go.