Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear wheel on a Ea82

1) I was wondering if its possible to convert an Ea82 which is 4wd (2wd, 4wd-hi, 4wd-lo) to rear wheel drive anyone done it, does it work, how can i do it.

2) If its possible to have rear hand brake instead of front.

Thank You.

1) I was wondering if its possible to convert an Ea82 which is 4wd (2wd, 4wd-hi, 4wd-lo) to rear wheel drive anyone done it, does it work, how can i do it.

Possible, and it depends on how you want to do it. If you simply remove the front CV shafts (you'll need to keep the end stubs to hold the wheels on) and leave the car in 4WD mode, it'll be RWD. There are probably more complex ways to do it, but this just involves what you have.

2) If its possible to have rear hand brake instead of front.

Thank You.

Not easily.

-=Russ=-

Possible, and it depends on how you want to do it. If you simply remove the front CV shafts (you'll need to keep the end stubs to hold the wheels on) and leave the car in 4WD mode, it'll be RWD. There are probably more complex ways to do it, but this just involves what you have.

Not easily.

-=Russ=-

I forgot to add that when i engage the the 4wd Lo or Hi the rear wheels keep wheel spinning like it doesnt grip the road, when you take a turn it like drifts, why is this? i dont find this normal, and what others ways are there to change it to rear wheel drive apart from removing the front Cv shafts.

Amk.

I forgot to add that when i engage the the 4wd Lo or Hi the rear wheels keep wheel spinning like it doesnt grip the road, when you take a turn it like drifts, why is this? i dont find this normal,.

You are experiencing "torque bind" which is normal for a 4WD. You are not supposed to engage it in hard surfaces.

and what others ways are there to change it to rear wheel drive apart from removing the front Cv shafts.

There are none - not without dissasembling the transmission, which is a lot more work.

GD

I have to wonder if it's possible to make the front output the part time 4wd output instead of it always being on, and have the rear be the primary drive. When I pull the 4speed out of my car, I might have to investigate.

But yeah, the only way to convert is to pull the front axles and run in 4wd.

As far as the spinning and drifting, what does the silver tag on the rear diff say? If it hasn't been replaced, it should say 3.900, it almost sounds like somebody swapped in a 3.700 LSD diff.

Doesn't have to be an LSD 3.70, as plenty of non-LSD 3.70s floating around. Tire differences can cause the problem, too. Different sizes, makes, or amount of wear will cause grief on hard surfaces.

The front pinion is part of the driven shaft of the non-awd trannies.

I have to wonder if it's possible to make the front output the part time 4wd output instead of it always being on, and have the rear be the primary drive. When I pull the 4speed out of my car, I might have to investigate.

But yeah, the only way to convert is to pull the front axles and run in 4wd.

As far as the spinning and drifting, what does the silver tag on the rear diff say? If it hasn't been replaced, it should say 3.900, it almost sounds like somebody swapped in a 3.700 LSD diff.

That would be great to have the rear the primary drive, ill check what the diff says but i know it has never been changed came with the car like that 92 Leone 4wd Right hand drive.

Amk

Doesn't have to be an LSD 3.70, as plenty of non-LSD 3.70s floating around. Tire differences can cause the problem, too. Different sizes, makes, or amount of wear will cause grief on hard surfaces.

The front pinion is part of the driven shaft of the non-awd trannies.

The tires are all the same and new i think the rear diff has a problem it doesnt leak it has oil though.