Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a 90 legacy 2.2 wagon that doesn't produce cold air anymore.

When I hit the A/C button, the RPMs drop a bit and it appears a fan is switched on in the engine. The car is pretty old, so I assume I've just run out of juice.

I'd like to recharge it myself if possible. Monterey is beautiful, but an expensive car fix zone, what ever your problems.

Is there a kit or recharge that's doable in a short time? Maybe a past link I can read?

Thanks.

yep, tons of information how to do it on here. the box/kit at the autoparts store will have directions as well. spend a little time reading/searching and then go to the store and they'll help you finalize the deal. $30 tops probably and it should work again...but for how long..who knows how bad the leak is. but worth a shot.

Might be a loose valve which is simple to fix. My 93 leg had the same problem, so my dad's in the HVAC buisness, so he was able to get a hand off R12 refrigerant, and he used his leak detector and found no leaks except the valve, and now it has been 2-3 years and still freezing cold air. But ur going to need guages, the refrigerant and a leak detector is also good. You might be better off taking a trip to a dealer.

I have a write-up on www.bbs.legacycentral.org regarding retrofitting to r134a.

The compressors for these cars have a tendancy to fail over time due to poor design.

If you're not familar with servicing AC systems, and don't want to invest in the equipment, you may be better off taking it to a shop.

You're best bet would be to have a shop inject dye, and check for leaks. If they're are no leaks, do the work I recommend in my retrofitting write-up, and then take it to a shop to draw a vacuum, and recharge it. That should minimize the shop's time & expenses, especially if you supply the refrigerant.