Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber on ea71 or dual ea82 hitachi??

if someone wanted to really go all out, on an EA81, they could get the dual carb manifold, and put on two 38 DGEV carburetors.

along with a beefy cam, with higher lift (torque cam preferred)

new hydraluic lifters

new evenly weighing pushrods (exact weight is preferred)

new evenly weighed lightweight forged aluminum 10:1 CR pistons ($400)

new/used 1600 pistons rods (handle more than the EA81s do)

new hi-po valve springs, new valves... (replace all valve train basically)

I'm sure if someone out there in this world did all of that with a good port and polish and sweet exhaust, they could have an evil carbureted monster.

Don't forget a nice 4wd Centerforce clutch. (dual friction race clutch, lifetime warranty, kit is only about $250)

ok lemme qualify

my car as my sig says is a an ea71 powered ea82 wagon...it doesn't have the same intake as a 70s early 80s ea71s it has a bigger inside and outside diameter and the carb is an ea82 bolt pattern non feedback w electric choke, so in complexity it is about equiv to the weber or perhaps slightly more. Now given that our ea82 carbs are different compared to the USA as we NEVER got the feedback carb I'll need to personally verify the SRX dual carb manifold bolt pattern to see what is what...bleh..

As 2 the ea81 carb...I like my electric choke..does the ea81 have it?

also I'd be getting the hitachis free and u can't get webers here unless you import it yourself..$$

I honestly don't mind fabricating adapter plates as I'll have 2 do the same with the carb linkages and fuel lines and water supply hose. The SRX manifold actually had the original carbs on it but they were in pretty bad shape...

but damn this engine is being held back...I remember reading somewhere that the SRX had a 274 duration cam w higher lift as well...I could with time probably drop an ea82 engine in the car but I'd need an ea82 flywheel as my ea71 wheel won't bolt up 2 the ea82 crank and I've NEVER even seen a manual ea82 car here..as I'm def not going slush box route my only option untill I get that ea82 flywheel or redrill and balance my ea71 wheel is to get the most out of my ea71..

long post LOL sorry guys

• 1 year later...

I Have Two Dual Carb Setups But No Air Cleaners, If You Find One Hang Onto It For Me I'm About Two Steps From Putting It On My 78' Brat With The Factory Carbs, And I Believe You Need The Specific Carbs Due To The Jetting, Side Of Carbs Say Left & Right Respectively. If You Want To Weberize The Dually You Need 1 Dgv & 1 DFV With Manual Chokes Because The Ports Are To Close Together Auto Chokes Clash.

OMG talk about digging up old topics lol

I went the ea82 carbed route..redrilled my 1600 flywheel to 1800 bolt pattern..and about 5 months after that found an ea82 4wd flywheel AND an ea82 fwd flywheel...time heals all wounds ;) I'm now preparing to move on to turbo ea82 and EFI..

still have that dual hitachi SRX manifold tho'...