Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So many have read my threads on the shifter and tranny woes that I was having with my car (95 legacy L wagon) Turns out....

The shifter bushings being shot were the cause of a significant amount of the transmission noise that i was getting. Once those bushings were replaced, everything made a lot less noise. My friggin mechanic had to replace the bushings after a failed attempt at me doing it (the pin was fused inside the boss and he had to destroy the thing to get it all apart and replace the bushings....

He said it still makes a bit of noise in first gear, but I am not too worried about that....

Here is what he found when he put the car up and did the work... (He did love the car and say that it was a beauty though:banana: )

-One of the ball joints up front is shot and has play

-The car needs new front brakes because it sat for a long time and the old ones are completely rusted

-The car has 100 k on it...he thinks I might want to replace the timing belt soon...can I wait until 105k???

-ever so slight seepage of tranny fluid, but not a real leak at all.

-needs an alignment...tires are worn on the inside.

My question is in what order should I have him replace these things? I can't afford to have him do it all at once so I need to know what to do first.

Also - The car came with an extra set of tires...they are not matching tread, but they match almost exactly in size and they have more tread left on them then the others. Should I change the tires over to the better ones even though they don't match perfectly, or should I leave the partially worn/warped ones on and run them into the ground? I guess I am just wondering which set of tires will have a more megative effect on the drivetrain/transmission.

As always, your answers are much appreciated.

Dan

I would do the ball joint and then the alignment. Rusty brakes? they will be shiney after a little use.

So many have read my threads on the shifter and tranny woes that I was having with my car (95 legacy L wagon) Turns out....

The shifter bushings being shot were the cause of a significant amount of the transmission noise that i was getting. Once those bushings were replaced, everything made a lot less noise. My friggin mechanic had to replace the bushings after a failed attempt at me doing it (the pin was fused inside the boss and he had to destroy the thing to get it all apart and replace the bushings....

He said it still makes a bit of noise in first gear, but I am not too worried about that....

Here is what he found when he put the car up and did the work... (He did love the car and say that it was a beauty though:banana: )

-One of the ball joints up front is shot and has play

-The car needs new front brakes because it sat for a long time and the old ones are completely rusted

-The car has 100 k on it...he thinks I might want to replace the timing belt soon...can I wait until 105k???

-ever so slight seepage of tranny fluid, but not a real leak at all.

-needs an alignment...tires are worn on the inside.

My question is in what order should I have him replace these things? I can't afford to have him do it all at once so I need to know what to do first.

Also - The car came with an extra set of tires...they are not matching tread, but they match almost exactly in size and they have more tread left on them then the others. Should I change the tires over to the better ones even though they don't match perfectly, or should I leave the partially worn/warped ones on and run them into the ground? I guess I am just wondering which set of tires will have a more megative effect on the drivetrain/transmission.

As always, your answers are much appreciated.

Dan

I would do the ball joint and then the alignment. Rusty brakes? they will be shiney after a little use.

I wish it was rusty brake pads.... the front rotors are completely rusted/warped....the guy who had the car before me literally wore the brakes down to nothing and then let it sit after that so it f'ed up the front discs. The back brakes are drums and the shoes are brand new so they are fine.

What about the timing belt??? wait till it snaps, or change it now? Water pump is fine I think because I have been stuck in traffic with this car in 90 degree weather and it never goes past the midline on the temp gauge.

For now I am gonna do the ball joint and alignment....I will worry about the front brakes as I get closer to winter.

Also what do you guys think about the other set of new, non-matching tires? Put them on after the alignment? They are all the same size...just 2 different tread patterns that match fairly closely.

Yikes sorry guys...I didn't mean to upset anyone by saying that about the timing belt...I just figured since it's a non-interference engine that if it did break before I replaced it, I would just replace it and not worry about anythign else being messed up from it...should have phrazed it that way...

What about the other things I was asking though?

My mechanic said it was tranny seepage, and only ever so slightly - he said to wait until it gets worse to reseal everything.

These four tires are all pretty much new...problem is that two of them have a slightly different tread....

I definitely I am going to do the ball joint and an alignment soon though

I think the tires and brakes will have to wait for a couple of months