Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally found an engine,what's your .02?

Hey everyone,you've probably seen me bouncing around in the classifieds looking for an engine for my 93 Legacy wagon 2.2 AWD 5 speed. Well I finally found one that just came into a local junk yard. 92 Legacy Wagon w/2.2 auto,74000 miles. Been sitting for a year but started up fine and everything was smooth and quiet per my own mechanic. Junk yard didn't want to seperate w/engine as car is in fair shape but they did for 500.00. Sound like a good deal? Any opinions on what I should do when we transplant this engine? Is it worthwhile to do timing belt now while engine is out? There was a receipt in glove box for timing belt replacement at 65000 but it lists car as a 94. There are no apparent fluid leaks. Appreciate your comments. Thanks-John

$500 seems stout but if it tests good then so be it. i have a 2.2 i'd sell for half that (wrong coast of course), and there are two 2.2's for sale locally ($225 for both or $150 each) and they include the transmissions! but if you need the engine that often dictates that you'll pay a little more than normal as well. for that much money i'd like to get a compression test on it first. if they can start it, they can compression test it as it doesn't even have to run to do that.

great motors so with that mileage if the compression is good that's not a bad price if you need the thing. probably won't find one that you know runs with that low mileage. 1992 is a noninterference engine so if the timing belt has that few of miles on it i'd wait. i'd rather run the engine a bit before spending any more money on this motor.

Gary-up here the Subies are really popular,there are 200000 mile engines going for 600.00 with no guarantee,and you don't know what you're getting with it as far as compression etc... My mechanic and I bought the engine mentioned as he was quite impressed with it's running condition after sitting for a year and would've kept it for himself if I hadn't traded him my 79 Ford in exchange for the engine and install plus a new clutch,and whatever else I felt was necessary,that's why I asked about the timimg belt and such. Appreciate your response. John