Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello guys,

This is my first post here. I hope this is the right forum for this. Anyway here is my question. I have a 91 Subaru Legacy that I bought May of this yr, and now the head gasket is blown because there is exhaust gas in the coolent and it always overheats and so I drive it around with the rad cap loose. How hard is it to change the head gasket's? anything I should know before I dive into it?

Thanks a bunch

HG is a pretty involved job (at least, on my scale). It involves basically taking off the entire top end of the engine - not an easy task for an unskilled person. Easy for a skilled person though.

Pick up a Chilton's or Haynes manual...this will give you all the necessary torque specs for when you pull the cams and etc.

Hello guys,

This is my first post here. I hope this is the right forum for this. Anyway here is my question. I have a 91 Subaru Legacy that I bought May of this yr, and now the head gasket is blown because there is exhaust gas in the coolent and it always overheats and so I drive it around with the rad cap loose. How hard is it to change the head gasket's? anything I should know before I dive into it?

Thanks a bunch

Get a factory service manual off ebay or craigs list.

This is soo much better than hayes or chiltons.

Not too bad of work if you have some tools and skill.