Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been thinkin' (always a bad omen) about cleaning MAF sensor on my 2000 GT Legacy in hopes of solving the occasional ping under certain temp/humidity conditions. I read that a dirty MAF sensor can cause everything from stuttering and hesitation (but not Tourette's Syndrome) to male pattern baldness.

Could it help the pinging?

Where is the sensor?

I bought a can of MAF cleaner the other week to try and fix a hesitation problem. Took the MAF off and sprayed it down good. It looked exactly the same when I put it on as when I took it off. So if it cleaned it I couldn't tell.

In the end it didn't help nor hurt anything. (New wire set fixed hesitation problem, I was misfiring because of an arc jump.) But for $6 you could try the cleaner, might just help your problem.

I'm not 100% positive, but I thought that the 00-04's used MAP's and not MAF's. I think Subaru went back to MAF's in '05 (at least in the Legacy, not sure about Impreza).

One of these days I'm just going to run some Seafoam through my '02...

Hi '00OBW 2.5sohc here, and if it has a MAF sensor it's definitely not on the plastic intake air stuff anywhere like it is on earlier ones. I know it does have a MAP sensor. I cleaned MAF on '96 2.2L with electrical cleaner spray 'cause I thought I got air filter oil on it but didn't notice any difference.