Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone,

Looking into getting the rotors and pads replaced on my 1995 legacy l wagon in the next few weeks. Just wondering what you know of brembo rotors. Any thoughts on 'em? I found these at 1/3 less than the oems. Also, what types or make of rotor are subaru oems? Japan? I plan on replacing the front and rear pads, while turning the rear and replacing the front rotors. This should take care of the slight vibration/shimmy when braking at 55-60mph. Also, I am looking for a "good" rotor and pads, something that will last. I am not hard on brakes so I am hoping to get 60-80k out of them after getting them replaced. In the past this is what I have gotten out of my brakes.

Thanks

those who know say not ot turn subaru rotors, especially the rear. they are unvented and don't do well. the rears are really cheap anyway. but again, they say not to do it.

Hello everyone,

Looking into getting the rotors and pads replaced on my 1995 legacy l wagon in the next few weeks. Just wondering what you know of brembo rotors. Any thoughts on 'em? I found these at 1/3 less than the oems. Also, what types or make of rotor are subaru oems? Japan? I plan on replacing the front and rear pads, while turning the rear and replacing the front rotors. This should take care of the slight vibration/shimmy when braking at 55-60mph. Also, I am looking for a "good" rotor and pads, something that will last. I am not hard on brakes so I am hoping to get 60-80k out of them after getting them replaced. In the past this is what I have gotten out of my brakes.

Thanks

Don't know the brand, but the rear rotors on my Forester are made in Japan -- it's stamped on the inside of the parking braking drum.

I'm going the Brembo rotors and Akebono Pads on the Subaru, though I think Bendix rotors (made in the USA) are probably superior but more difficult to find and more expensive. With ceramic pads, Akebono has the market cornered.

You would need new calipers as there are no vented rotors in production that would fit the Subaru rear configuration. A vented rotor in the rear is not really necessary because they contribute only 10-15% to total braking force.

My mother-in-law's '97 Cherokee is fit with rear vented rotors -- it's a heavier car -- but I don't know that they're really all that necessary. The next generation of Grand Cherokees (99-04) have solid rear rotors.

I am curious as to what the drawback is to turning Subaru rotors (as long as the cut rotor is above minimum thickness).

Mike V.

i wouldnt bother, your brakes need to be replaced when they warp, its a waste of time to turn them. They might work at the beginning but then they will warp again, much sooner.

Not that can of worms again :rolleyes:

My money (for what it's worth) is on stock or slotted. No drillies.

Even on cars with proper cast holes or factory drilled holes, you're asking for trouble in the snow belt, too.

why u say that? But i guess it makes sense. Think i should just get OEM brakes or get the brembos that arent slotted or drilled just vented?