Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Great to be back and find this forum, now just frustrated about all this body flex!!

Ok, well according to my dad when the car was new, it always was so flexy, but i wana know if anyone elses, legacy wagon the 1993 feels thee exact same. WHen u take of the whole car cracks, dashboard, u turn, crack, in the roof, u stop, crack. IM REALLY annoyed now, especially when u sit in traffic, crack here crack there. My dad said it was like this from day 1 when we got the car. But i want your opinion. Like i just doesnt feel solid thats what frustrates me. WHy so much body flew? Any ideas? THanks guys.

Ok, well according to my dad when the car was new, it always was so flexy, but i wana know if anyone elses, legacy wagon the 1993 feels thee exact same. WHen u take of the whole car cracks, dashboard, u turn, crack, in the roof, u stop, crack. IM REALLY annoyed now, especially when u sit in traffic, crack here crack there. My dad said it was like this from day 1 when we got the car. But i want your opinion. Like i just doesnt feel solid thats what frustrates me. WHy so much body flew? Any ideas? THanks guys.

crack?

this is the first i heard about it

nipper

pretty normal due the plastic material subaru used and use now. My 95 does the same thing, grrrr i hate those "crack, ding, cling, eeeek". Its plastic plastic, and we have to live with it if its not insulated properly.

Oh, ic, but its just i want a more solid feeling. Thats all. Do i need those bars that that go from the top of the strut to the other strut? IS there anything else to make the car much more solid, i really need new rear struts, what else, lower profile tires that for sure! i upgraded the profile a little bigger tires, thinking like 16" oem rims with oem size tires, and a rear sway bar. Think that odd to help. ANother thing the front brakes are pulsing and the rear brakes are screwed because my dad thinks its a good idea to sand the rotors, he thought it would remove the rust, THERE WAS NO RUST, just the out part of the rotor, who cares. Oh well, there a ticking noise now in the rear, what ever. Any one else have this issue on a 1993 Legacy L wagon? non turbo.

Sometimes when I come back to my '93 after driving other cars for a while I notice the body flex. My car doesn't make a cracking noise, though. There is a squeak from one of the trailing arms and there's a buzz from the plastic cowling around the steering wheel, but that's about it.

Sometimes when I come back to my '93 after driving other cars for a while I notice the body flex. My car doesn't make a cracking noise, though. There is a squeak from one of the trailing arms and there's a buzz from the plastic cowling around the steering wheel, but that's about it.

o, but do u have a wagon? I dont hear any squeks or raddles, Just the dam crack noises, but i usually only hear it when i take off. Where u think i should look? Where are these welds nip? THanks guys.

Well, you could probably start with a front strut tower bar (yes, one that goes from strut to strut), then probably you want to do something about the flex in the back of the car with another strut bar or some sort of brace.

Then you could go to upgrading the front sway bar and putting in a rear sway bar.

Well, you could probably start with a front strut tower bar (yes, one that goes from strut to strut), then probably you want to do something about the flex in the back of the car with another strut bar or some sort of brace.

Then you could go to upgrading the front sway bar and putting in a rear sway bar.

k thanks, now right now money it tight, i have alot of posts saying how much i have spent fixing the car, so ya. Right now im wondering if any welds broke, where should i start? Hows ur car by the way manarius? DOes it Feel really solid?

My car's rather tight for being 100% bone stock. Yes, I'm riding on 153k mile struts. Around corners, aside from the tall tires, the car rides like it's brand new with a little body roll. It barely flexes, at least, from what I can tell.

My 91 also has a rear sway bar so that adds to a little bit of stiffening of the rear end.

I personally think you're making a lot of out nothing. I think what you're making out to be flex is just normal operation of the car's chassis.

ericem, both of my Subies are Legacy wagons. I expect the LGT to be much stiffer in terms of body flex than the '93 and it is. I didn't expect to spend a month driving a Peugeot 206, which is a terrific car BTW, and then get back into the '93 and notice the body flex, but that's what happened. The '93 has KYB AGXs on it. It's definitely not a weak suspension. It's torsional flex that I feel.

The '93 has 229K miles on it, it's getting old and I kind of expect rattles to develop. At this age the car feels much better than I would have expected it to. It's not as though I am dissatisfied with it - it's simply that I do notice the chassis motions.

Well, do u have a wagon? Hearing from people with sedans is different.
I still think you're overexaggerating the problem. Your car is 13 years old with 13 year old technology, you can't expect it to be perfect, you have to expect it to act like a 13 year old car.

lol,why does everyone talk like this? 13 year old technology? Everything is basically the same concept as it was 13years ago. Again, i dont care aobut how old the car is, i just want it to drive like day one, or todays modern car. Eventually ill have to look into new rear struts, and a rear sway bar, and the strut bar, but in the rear, its a bit of a problem, becaase the bar would make me loose some space in the rear. Any ideas? Will the one bar in the front be enough?

lol,why does everyone talk like this? 13 year old technology? Everything is basically the same concept as it was 13years ago. Again, i dont care aobut how old the car is, i just want it to drive like day one, or todays modern car. Eventually ill have to look into new rear struts, and a rear sway bar, and the strut bar, but in the rear, its a bit of a problem, becaase the bar would make me loose some space in the rear. Any ideas? Will the one bar in the front be enough?
Why does everyone talk about it? Because it's true! You're not going to get it to drive like a Legacy now, no matter how much work you put into it.

A bar in the front will stiffen the front, but not the back. The wagons always have more body flex, it's a product of design.

The newest legacy's are running on a 17 year old drivetrain design. Most of the parts in a 93 legacy drive train are near identicle to a brand new one.

Chassis flex can be a problem. My wagon's never flexed too much, but I'm not looking for it.

Real test: put one of the front wheels up on a high point so that it lifts one of the back wheels. Put the E brake on and get out. Open and close all the doors. If the doors don't work, you have a problem. If they all work fine, don't worry about it.

my 90 wagon has over 270K miles on the body including being rolled onto it's drivers side once upon a time. it goes down the road without the slightest squeak or rattle, only a bit of wind noise from the passenger side mirror I haven't fixed yet. I only get a very little bit of creak from the windshield area going over the curb onto the driveway. This is with new outbackified KYB GR-2's. In fact my 90 Legacy wagon makes fewer noises then my 99 F250 SD. I like my wagon, still drives like a new car...