Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Worth of a 98 Forrester with maybe a bad motor.

I've got a friend who is selling a 98 Forrester for a female friend of his. The car is in Washington state and she left it when she went to school on the east coast (daddy gave her the car). They say it overheated once or twice- It's got some strange pinning/knocking going on (these people know nothing of cars)- it dosen't sound like a rod or main bearing, maybe valve noise. It's definatly not constant- it comes and goes with RMP. They say she has driven it about 7k miles with it sounding like this. I drove it last week and it seems to have good power- didn't get hot- no oil in the water or water in the oil- but definatly not a good sound coming from the motor. Their mech. says it need a new motor- I'm trying to get it for cheap, but trying to convince her that it's not worth blue book minus the cost of a used Japanese motor. Anyways, does anybody have an idea what a 98 forrester with a questionable motor might be worth? Thanks.

I've got a friend who is selling a 98 Forrester for a female friend of his. The car is in Washington state and she left it when she went to school on the east coast (daddy gave her the car). They say it overheated once or twice- It's got some strange pinning/knocking going on (these people know nothing of cars)- it dosen't sound like a rod or main bearing, maybe valve noise. It's definatly not constant- it comes and goes with RMP. They say she has driven it about 7k miles with it sounding like this. I drove it last week and it seems to have good power- didn't get hot- no oil in the water or water in the oil- but definatly not a good sound coming from the motor. Their mech. says it need a new motor- I'm trying to get it for cheap, but trying to convince her that it's not worth blue book minus the cost of a used Japanese motor. Anyways, does anybody have an idea what a 98 forrester with a questionable motor might be worth? Thanks.

You do not specify condition of the Body, interior, or suspension.

Having a '99 myself here is my oppinion on value range:

Excellent condition, minus the engine= $2500-3000

Average condition, but needs some work immediately= $2000-2500

Poor condition, needs tires, suspension work and more= $1000-1500

Just my two cents.

What part of wa is it in? I know if its in the west side, they sometimes go for more in that condition, but on the east side, sometimes go for less. Thats what ive found.

I think that last person is right on for price. To get a new engine installed (reman installed from another shop) will run the average Jo about $4000.

If they want $4000 for the car and it cost $4000 for a engine then that would bring the cost to $8000 and KBB might only be like $6000.

so i would offer $1500 to $2000 depending on condition.

sorry for the confusion

Well, here is one in a similar state of confunktion that seems to be only worth $500:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/222800078.html

The body and interior are good- The car is an AT with about 110k miles. I've got enough projects to last through the winter- She wants WAY too much for it right now- we'll see how badly she wants to sell it after is sits for another six months or so. Thanks for the input.