Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question for you Transfercase guys

Rollie715

I know I could probably do some searches on previous posts, but here goes anyway.

I'm thinking of putting in a transfercase.

I realize the Sube transmission would have to stay in 4WD.

On the transfercase with a standard setup, 2WD would only go to the rear axle and 4WD would run them both. So when I'm driving down the road in 2WD it would be via the rear axle only.

Now here's the problem: if I had a welded rear dif which I would like, I would have to leave my 2nd axle in to drive with the rear axle more safely then with just one. However that's not really that great either.

So, what do you guys do when driving on the road with a transfercase and locked rear diff?

The idea I'm thinking of is, if I can find a transfercase where the input shaft can be turned around and pointed out the rear, then I could turn the whole thing around backwards so 2WD would run tjust he front axle and 4WD would engage the rear. Then I could pull out my rear 2nd axle, and drive around with front wheel drive only while on the road.

What do you think and what do you guys who've done it typically do?

Thanks

Rollie

I agree with Scott on this one, way too much thought there. I give you an A for inovation though. I run with both rear axles in and the rear diff welded. If you drive it tame you won't have any problems. I have on a couple of occasions messing with some racers blown rears just by taking off hard. Although if you are sticking with an EA engine then you prolly won't have to worry about that too much. Lotsa luck with the swap.

so with a t-case mod your d/r stick becomes stationary in 4 high, and when you want 4wheel drive you just use the nissan stick?

correct because the nissan transfercase is now delivering power to the front and rear axles instead of the subaru transmission

You would probably also want to shift both gearboxes into 4 Low when wheelin.

If you have the gears in the tcase and the diffs and can get by without low range in the tranny it may be better, because the rear outputshaft is providing power %100 of the time and the gear reduction in the tranny is before anything else in the transmission. May help the transmission last longer, I've heard of people blowing up the rear output on these trannies. I dont know from any experiance yet so thats all speculation.

If you have the gears in the tcase and the diffs and can get by without low range in the tranny it may be better, because the rear outputshaft is providing power %100 of the time and the gear reduction in the tranny is before anything else in the transmission. May help the transmission last longer, I've heard of people blowing up the rear output on these trannies. I dont know from any experiance yet so thats all speculation.

this is true. but it seems like every time, it's been beat on, and with a higher output engine (built EA82t, built EA81, ER27...). if you're nice to it, and leave it with the stock EA82 motor (plenty of power, if you've got the gearing), it should last a long time.

but yes, the effect is dual tcases...and therefore, 2 seperate reductions, that can be used independant of each other. including using the subaru lo range, and nissan 2Hi