Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front strut bar on 93 Legacy L wagon?

My cars runs good in all, but still the cracking from the dashboard. So if i buy a front strut bar, not a rear one, u think it will make a noticeable difference, in body flex? Im looking at a Cusco bar, for 200CDN. Think it will make the car stiff and solid as ever? Thanks guys!

A lot of people say that strut tower bars do significantly decrease flex and creaking. I think it was SubieGal that cracked windshields on her rally car until she installed one.

I have front and rear bars that I got on e-bay. They were a fraction of the price of a fancy Cusco or STi part and I don't see how they could be any worse. They're pretty solid and have good welds, mine fit fine, and it doesn't take much engineering to make a straight bar. Apparantly they're especially helpful in the rear of a wagon.

I'm starting to warm up to fender braces too now that the prices have come down (~$90/pr).

Bars for a GC will fit, but 2nd gen Legacy and Impreza stuff will not.

I think replacing the tired suspension will do more good than a strut bar ever would.

did u ready my post? lol, it said that it dashboard makes noise, not the car handles like crap, the rear strut could be replaced, but they aren't leaking, and the front ones are new.

hey, so the strut bars on ebay, i see them, hmm, im wondering if i should get a cheap one too. But i got to wait on shipping, but its better then spending 200CDN. But might be the same price by the time is arrives.

Tired suspension contributes to body flex. When the struts just give all the time, the body gives as well.

You're trying to make your 13 year old Legacy L not be a Legacy L and that's just simply not going to happen. I think you're nitpicking at things that the rest of us just expect from a 13 year old car with many many miles on it.

You're trying to make your 13 year old Legacy L not be a Legacy L and that's just simply not going to happen. I think you're nitpicking at things that the rest of us just expect from a 13 year old car with many many miles on it.

I don't know about that. My 93 Legacy L isn't much of an L anymore, and right now it handles much better than it did when it rolled off the line.

Eric, I say pick up the e-bay bars. It's definitely not going to make things worse, and they're cheap. If your suspension is old I highly recommend replacing the at least the struts though. As they wear out they lose the ability to properly damp the motion of the springs and keep the tires on the ground. It's a gradual thing so you can buy a new car, drive it for 60k miles without noticing a difference, and then when you replace the struts it's like night and day.