Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any guesses? Whirring noise and smoke from bellhousing

Give your thoughts,please.

1985 GL ***which already had an SPFI conversion** wagon that just got an engine swap done to it.

Put in the SPFI engine from my old '89 touring wagon,which is/was a manual.

The '85 is an automatic.

I haven't done one of these in years but as far as I know we got it right and I'm guessing a bolt fell down inside the timing hole.

The engine runs great but the noise from the bell housing is kind of scary,and yes,there's the slight smoke factor too.

I personally swapped the flex plate over and I'm sure I put the retaining washer on just like it came off.

We did not swap any bellhousing....as far as we both could remember there's no need to....right? They measure the same.

We'll be pulling the engine/tranny apart to find out and correct.

Could that small plate that sits at the very bottom be bent upward?

I know we'll be finding out,but man this one had us all looking at each other speachless.

Otherwise,Andrew and Charlie were saving my nuts before winter.They were both wrench turning fools on a mission.

Yes, that little bottom cover plate can get bent up enough to contact the starter-ring and/or other rotating parts... makes an heck of a screech!!! Easy enough to check through the timing hole if all 4 flex-plate bolts are still in place. Bellhousings are the same.

OK, Paul, forgive the dumb question but it needs to be asked: You did install the torque-converter properly on the tranny before you bolted engine and tranny together? If not....ooooh, bad things!!! :eek:

OK, Paul, forgive the dumb question but it needs to be asked: You did install the torque-converter properly on the tranny before you bolted engine and tranny together? If not....ooooh, bad things!!! :eek:

Hi Pat.

Thanks for the info.

T/C never left the tranny.Going up there now,I'll post back just how bad that stinkin plate was bent.....I hope.

Cheers!

:lol:

I hear ya! ;)

Well,stuff happens as they say.Charlie was there and he's a full time car guy so I don't feel so bad.I also asked him to double check me on the re-fit of all the hoses,etc.....and I go to start the car and tranny fluid is wizzing all over the battery....never hooked up the top tranny coolant line.....:-\ .Stuff happens.He's under some pressure lately,and we're all too busy lately so I undertand.Otherwise he's one of the best.

So,I went to the old engine to see if there's a difference in those plates from std. to auto. and they were the same.The other one was also bent upwards in a more viscious manner as if the engine was placed down on hard corner.