Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Build the ultimate MPG 1.8

I am thinking about pulling my engine and do everything possible to increase the mpg. I have been looking at a link talking about grooving and other stuff http://www.somender-singh.com/

If anyone out there can think of anything to help improve the performance of a 1.8 engine, please share the info.

:burnout: crazy mabe but working on it might be fun.

light weight custom pistons might help a tiny bit but engine mods probably won't make a huge difference. remove drag from your motor, remove A/C, remove power steering (install electric XT6 power steering pump), remove clutch fan and install an electric fan. lightweight stuff....pistons, pulley, flywheel may help a tiny bit.

big help is FWD manual trans. an 88+ XT can pull 40+ highway mileage.

The ea82, all versions has been nothing but incredible for me when it comes to fuel mileage. As a 1781 with 250cfm should, even with errors.I am currently running a 20 year old never rebuilt with a glasspack and straight pipe (yes I am sure the neighbors love me for it) well into the 30's mpg - everywhere I go, to the floor or not with the throttle. EJ18's have the potential to suck in small kittens and chipmunks, and guess what else has to go with all that air intake?

Aside from the broken crankshaft potential, it can use alot of freakin fuel!

Can't feed me the bullcrap about giant intakes and little engines "doing better than ever" with mileage, it is preposterous to even think it.If your ea82 is using alot, it should and will be an obvious extreme problem to find and fix. :)