Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driver's side internal lock does not lock the other door locks.

Mile also does this, or does not depending on how you look at it. I think the mechanisim is broke on mine, it just kinda flops around with no resistance on it. I'm more worried about the window switch bank, right rear goes down with drivers control, but you have to use the door switch to roll it back up.

Mile also does this, or does not depending on how you look at it. I think the mechanisim is broke on mine, it just kinda flops around with no resistance on it. I'm more worried about the window switch bank, right rear goes down with drivers control, but you have to use the door switch to roll it back up.

Mine seems to have resistance, a bit more than it probably should in fact. Hopefully that means GD is on the right track. If it is broke though, I can live with finding a replacement switch.

I recently dealt with this problem on a 90 legacy and I am pretty sure that the basics are the same. There is a link rod running from the lock cylinder down to the lock mechanism and switch, and another rod running from the interior door handle to the mechanism/switch. The door handle's rod is probably bent a little wrong, so that it can activate the locking mechanism but not the switch contacts.

I recently dealt with this problem on a 90 legacy and I am pretty sure that the basics are the same. There is a link rod running from the lock cylinder down to the lock mechanism and switch, and another rod running from the interior door handle to the mechanism/switch. The door handle's rod is probably bent a little wrong, so that it can activate the locking mechanism but not the switch contacts.

That sounds like a likely possibility. I will check it out while I am in there coating everything with white lithium. :)

Good idea about running some cleaner through there first, will do.

As a test, earlier today I fiddled with the inner lock a bit and given the slightly higher than normal resistance on the switch I decided to close it with a bit of gusto instead of carefully closing it.

All the internal locks snapped shut. :headbang:

I think when I get inside the door this weekend and clean it all out and lube the bejeezus out of everything that this will clear my lock issues up.

Thanks again for the good info and ideas, I will post back with and update after I have a chance to try this.

once it started to become apparent that you probalb yjust needed to press harder, i realized I kinda have the same problem, I think.. and to me, it has always felt like there was a good chance one of the long metal arms was a bit bent, or fatigued.. or something worn, in some sense.. more than a simple lube. So, my point it, you may need to swap something to really "fix" this, even if lubing it up makes it OK. It may just be OK for now, you know? just food for thought. Good luck, though.. I will be paying attention. I haven't bothered because MY car isnt anywhere near as bad as yours, yet, and the passenger's side is worse than drivers..

once it started to become apparent that you probalb yjust needed to press harder, i realized I kinda have the same problem, I think.. and to me, it has always felt like there was a good chance one of the long metal arms was a bit bent, or fatigued.. or something worn, in some sense.. more than a simple lube. So, my point it, you may need to swap something to really "fix" this, even if lubing it up makes it OK. It may just be OK for now, you know? just food for thought. Good luck, though.. I will be paying attention. I haven't bothered because MY car isnt anywhere near as bad as yours, yet, and the passenger's side is worse than drivers..

Yeah, I was thinking I would inspect everything carefully. I have some metalworking skill so if it is a bent rod or somesuch I can probably fix it or make another.

Jason