Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Resources for building asian dual-carb ea81 long block.

I just scored an imported asian dual-carb ea81 long block. I can either rebuild it myself or pay to have it rebuilt. If I do it myself, is there an english language manual available for the asian dual-carb ea81?

Rebuilding it might be a good winter project. I've never rebuilt an engine, but I've done lots of other automotive stuff, I'm methodical and good at following instructions. I can also evict my VW Golf from the garage for the winter so I'll have a warm well lit place to work. Any advice? Seattle area Volunteers? ;)

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Did you get the carbs and the manifold too?

I wasn't aware that there were any differences in the dual carb engines..... but I guess it's possible - please document any differences you find for us.

No. Joe Souza (not by the seller) told me that engine has desireable differences in the heads and a different cam. I've also seen similar things said elsewhere in the aviation community EXAMPLE 1 EXAMPLE 2 EXAMPLE 3 EXAMPLE 4 EXAMPLE 5 , but none of this is very authoritative. I'm going to use a Weber and Joe's intake manifold.

As Brian Tracy says: "When a man with money meets up with a man with experience, the man with the experience is going to end up with the money and the man with money is going to end up with the experience" I just hope I'm not paying too much for my experience lol.gif I'll either have a hot ea81 or an expensive one and we'll all know for sure whether the dual-carb heads are different...

Yeah, I have read that the cams are definately different and the heads were supposed to be as well. HA HA HA I HAVE YOUR MANIFOLD AND CARBS HA HA HA Let me know if you ever get rid of the cam or heads. Or if you ever have them out and figure out the specs from a machine shop. Thanks and good luck. I am sure you could fab up a dual carb intake, It can't be that hard...(If you have the resources)

Originally posted by PHATBRAT

Yeah, I have read that the cams are definately different and the heads were supposed to be as well.

Thanks--that's what I wanted to hear.

Let me know if you ever get rid of the cam or heads. Or if you ever have them out and figure out the specs from a machine shop.

Will do.

I am sure you could fab up a dual carb intake, It can't be that hard...(If you have the resources)

The Weber intake Joe Souza sells will work with the dual-carb head or the US Spec. heads. He's the one that first told me the dual-carb heads are better. I also have a line on a dual-carb manifold and carbs, which would be much cheaper...

Can anyone on the board provide more details on the differences between the US spec. and Japanese domestic market dual-carb heads?

P.S. I just got this response to my inquiry about a JDM dual-carb motor from one of the engine import places:

We have a nice engine in stock. It is a low mileage engine that has leak down tested, inspected internally, cleaned, palletized & is ready for shipping. The cost of the engine is 1,195.00 If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.