Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can I buy a Hitachi distributor for a Brat?

Follow up to this thread;

It's the distributor. The tach been doing more of the dancing around. I tried to get one through ebay, but it doesn't have the same housing. Anyone know where I can get a Hitachi ditributor for an '86 Brat? Anyone know where I can find a catalogue of part numbers for said Brat? Or even someone who carries Brat parts, and is easy to deal with?

thanks,

P.S. fwiw, the distributor in my Brat has these numbers on it:

4298787 00, D4R88-12 6503, and the one I ordered has these: 22100 AA 121

D4R84-52 6701. It has an extra flange on it. Could I remove the flange and use the ditributor? Anyone know?

apparition13

P.S. fwiw, the distributor in my Brat has these numbers on it:4298787 00, D4R88-12 6503, and the one I ordered has these: 22100 AA 121

D4R84-52 6701. It has an extra flange on it. Could I remove the flange and use the ditributor? Anyone know?

apparition13

The two-flange distributor is for an EA82. It does not have the right drive gear, but assuming it's for a carb engine, then yes. You could cut the flange off, move the wireing harness a bit, enlarge the adjuster slot on the other flange, change the drive gear (hole must be redrilled higher up on the shaft), and it would work.

Call these guys. I've worked with them on many occasions and they do excelent work. Your distributor needs new shaft bushings, and probably will need the vacuum advance rebuilt. They can make your unit as good as new for about $50 - $75:

www.philbingroup.com

They can also source new units for you, but the price is astronomical - probably in the $200 - $300 range.

If you are willing to spend a little more (than the rebuild - probably be about the same as a new distributor for everything), and upgrade in the process, then the Single Point Fuel Injection would be the far better alternative - the SPFI uses it's own distributor, and you can get one and have philbin just swap the drive gear from your Hitachi over to it. The SPFI disty uses easily replaced pin bearings for it's shaft (and they last like 300,000 miles anyway) so no worries about this ever re-occuring. Read my full write up on the SPFI swap here:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/EA81_SPFI.html

GD

My plan was to install this one, and send the old one off to be rebuilt. Unfortunately, I need the car and can't have it sit while I send the ditributor off. The SPFI swap sounds great, but I'd have to have it done, since I'm not much of a mechanic, and I fear the labour cost may prove prohibitive.

If you have a bit of money to spend give CCR a call and ask them if Kerry is still rebuilding them. Like GD said, "You are in Portland - land of the Subaru. Head over to Foster U-Pull-It and grab one for $25." That would definately be your best bett. If NE is anything like SD stuff is hard to come by in the yards and exspensive too. just a thought, Tim

If you have a bit of money to spend give CCR a call and ask them if Kerry is still rebuilding them. Like GD said, "You are in Portland - land of the Subaru. Head over to Foster U-Pull-It and grab one for $25." That would definately be your best bett. If NE is anything like SD stuff is hard to come by in the yards and exspensive too. just a thought, Tim
Sadly, Kerry is out of business. I'm with GD on Philbin.

The two-flange distributor is for an EA82. It does not have the right drive gear, but assuming it's for a carb engine, then yes. You could cut the flange off, move the wireing harness a bit, enlarge the adjuster slot on the other flange, change the drive gear (hole must be redrilled higher up on the shaft), and it would work.

thanks, that seems to be working so far.

advance auto parts have dissys for the subarus

Follow up to this thread;

It's the distributor. The tach been doing more of the dancing around. I tried to get one through ebay, but it doesn't have the same housing. Anyone know where I can get a Hitachi ditributor for an '86 Brat? Anyone know where I can find a catalogue of part numbers for said Brat? Or even someone who carries Brat parts, and is easy to deal with?

thanks,

P.S. fwiw, the distributor in my Brat has these numbers on it:

4298787 00, D4R88-12 6503, and the one I ordered has these: 22100 AA 121

apparition13