Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weak brakes

My brakes on my '92 Loyale seem weak, and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I took it to a local mechanic (not a brake specialty place though) and they said there was nothing wrong with them. I disagree.

He looked at the pads and shoes and they are apparently OK (although he didn't notice my weak brakes so maybe they aren't.) I think the MC is the last part of the system, besides the lines. The fluid was just flushed recently so it's not that, and there is no pulling when I apply the pedal.

It seems like there is a lot of play in the pedal, but the brakes do not need to be bled--pumping the pedal doesn't cause any change at all. I followed the procedure to check the booster and that checked out, so I was convinced I needed a master cylinder. Am I on the right track here? Are my standards just too high?

Wrong forum?

I do have rear drums, so I'll check those, thanks.

And I'm 100% sure the brakes don't need to be bled (I've dealt with the PITA that is bleeding these brakes before) so if it's not the rears, I'll try the MC, and psyche myself up for some serious bleeding!

Thanks guys.

Wrong forum?

I do have rear drums, so I'll check those, thanks.

And I'm 100% sure the brakes don't need to be bled (I've dealt with the PITA that is bleeding these brakes before) so if it's not the rears, I'll try the MC, and psyche myself up for some serious bleeding!

Thanks guys.

the new generation forum :)

Another thing to look at, it may be time to replace the break hoses. They can get soft internally and give you what you are feeling.

nipper