Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone here got one, either Subaru (OEM) or aftermarket ?

How well does it work, when do you use it ?

The Subaru one ( A0910AS000 ) looks real simple,

almost too simple. I assume that is the correct one for

my 2000 Impreza Outback Sport. Anyone got any complaints

or praise on them ?

And....what's the part number for one for a 90 Legacy,

if I ever get my Legacy back from my son.

Richard

I don't have one on my Legacy,first vehicle not to have one, but I've always thought they were a good idea especially in cold climates since you reduce warm up times of oil and the oil is already loose when you start up.I've had domestic cars that wouldn't start without one,of course these were carb cars,but my Subie has never ever failed to start even in the -20 range.My dad has had real good luck with the magnetic variety that just attaches to your oil pan,but it has fallen off a couple of times while driving till we modified some electrical connectors to fit the oil pan bolts and then straped it on. Can't help you with part #'s.

John

Ive got a factory one on my '96 obw. I like it, car is blowing warm heat in about a minute. Its a coolant type (I think all factory ones are), so the oil will still be cold, well prolly a lil warmer than usual, but the heater simply circulates the coolant. Nothing to do with the oil.

I'm almost positive that Subaru had used the exact same block heater for all of their cars. It looks identical from the EA82 to the brand new cars (haven't looked on an EA81/71).

I have had a block heater (and usually an oil pan heater as well) on every car I've owned. They do wonders at easing startup, getting heat sooner, and reducing engine wear. I generally plug mine in at anything less than 20 degrees F. Unless it's below 0, I just plug it in for a couple of hours. Below that, leave it overnight. If the temperature drops near the freeze point of your coolant mixture, plug it in any time the car will sit for more than a few minutes.

It's also very easy to install. Beware the plugs on older cars, as I have been told that they get really stuck in there and can actually crack the block when removing them. Gentle use of an impact wrench should eliminate this risk. That's what I did on mine when I got it at 170k, and I didn't have any trouble getting the plug out.

I had one OEM (block coolant type) installed an on '99 a few weeks back. It has been a real pleasure here in the Iowa cold! I plug it it at night, moreover it so nice to have heat after only a minute or two. If you go for this type of heater you will be removing a critical core plug from the engine block. Personaly I would not chance anything other then OEM on this one