Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lube tire bead

I am thinking about what to lube my tire beads with when installing. This isn't somethign I do often so getting a dedicated lube itsn't economical. I was thinking that engine oil is likely to be acidic so not a good rubber match. what about just regular cooking oil? Perhaps I could use a grease that would also work for something else life diff oil or bearing grease.

any ideas or should I just bust out my olive oil and be done with it?

-nate

You wana know what they really use??? Like in shops and stuff??? Its really really simple... I didnt even know it was this simple... Untill I looked for the in our toolroom at my school...

LARD

There I said it.. hard to believe huh??

Soap will work but..... use lard... silicone spray is 1000s of times better than soap but lard is the best option

dont forget to be very very generous!!! dont tear a bead!!! some kids already did it at my school (on practice wheels of course) just because they got lazy and didnt lube it up!! Oh! I forgot... i think its a special lard but im not sure.. or at least its more expensive than regular lard... But napa should have something that would work.. i dont think autozone or checker/shucks or even kragen :) would have it