Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bobbed Subaru Brat w/6" lift

Phizinza

thats the subaru to have. I wish I could do bodywork like that. Everything I do will be good, but it will be a lot rougher, less smooth and probably use a bit of metal... But for offroad purposes, it needs a bit more weight in the rear, it isnt supposed to look nice, and it may be tougher... You better build that now that you photoshopped that

and a 6" lift might not be enough for a tcase...

I know what you mean. But I've been doing a lot of looking at it and my brother and I figured you could cut away the gearbox and remove the front diff. Then weld new alloy plate on to seal it all up. OR you could dry sump the EJ, move the whole engine and gearbox 6 or so inches back and put the diff under the engine... Both of these would require a fair bit of modification, but both are entirely possible in my brothers workshop. I love welding alloy :)

Only problem I just thought of a couple of minutes ago was using a 6" lift with transfer case means there isn't as much room above the engine for the radiator that I thought there was. But I'm sure I could make it fit. Even if I have to use the radiator in the tray (wouldn't matter much because there isn't much tray left..

I wonder how long I could drive it on road before the cops pull me over... ahah

Where exactly is the gas tank sitting? That's the only thing I see that might not fit. Maybe go with a fuel cell in the bed, directly over the rear axle.
That was my thought.. But then my brother said up the compression and run it on gas with a tank in the bed.

I know what you mean. But I've been doing a lot of looking at it and my brother and I figured you could cut away the gearbox and remove the front diff. Then weld new alloy plate on to seal it all up. OR you could dry sump the EJ, move the whole engine and gearbox 6 or so inches back and put the diff under the engine... Both of these would require a fair bit of modification, but both are entirely possible in my brothers workshop. I love welding alloy :)

Only problem I just thought of a couple of minutes ago was using a 6" lift with transfer case means there isn't as much room above the engine for the radiator that I thought there was. But I'm sure I could make it fit. Even if I have to use the radiator in the tray (wouldn't matter much because there isn't much tray left..

I wonder how long I could drive it on road before the cops pull me over... ahah

if you raise the engine 2" from stock you could squeeze the 6" , the transfercase will be hangimg down low unless you cut a hole in the floor and stuck it up in the cab a bit

the transfercase will be hangimg down low unless you cut a hole in the floor and stuck it up in the cab a bit
Which is what I was thinking..

I figure I should be able to fit the front diff under the EJ if it had a dry sump. And I would be doing a lot of cutting to the car so I may as well just cut for room instead of lifting.

You may be asking "why only a 6", so much easier to go with more." The reason why is I want it low as possible with still running 30" tires is lower center of gravity, plus I know it can be done. Nothing wrong with a little modification to mounts, sumps, suspension, crossmembers if it gets what I want (which is a different kind of subie.)

I'm looking for a rusty old Brat now... But it might take some time, hard to find cheap brats where I live.

I like it !

I was thinking of doing a similar mod, and also like the idea of keeping it low. Raising the engine would help get the diff to fit under, but would not provide for much room above it for the radiator. You would probably need to move the diff forward a few inches to make room for the larger tires to keep them away from the rear of the front fenderwells with only a 6" lift. The front part of the fenderwells would need to be cut out extra. Also moving the front diff forward may require a little reworking of how the strut towers mount up to the body. I was also thinking of moving the transfercase back far enough so that when you cut the big hole and raised it higher, it wouldn't be right between the seats and be too wide at that point. I imagined a taller narrow hump between the seats which would be where the two forward driveshafts would be. As for cutting out the bottom of the original tranny or running a dry sump, I think the low point under the flywheel might be the big problem, and I don't think you would gain much there unless you move the diff forward as well as the engine/tranny rearward. It could be major work.

Just ideas so far. I will let you know if I make any progress towards it.

Rollie

I like it !

I was thinking of doing a similar mod, and also like the idea of keeping it low. Raising the engine would help get the diff to fit under, but would not provide for much room above it for the radiator.

It will go in the back with the feul cell/LPG tank.

Also moving the front diff forward may require a little reworking of how the strut towers mount up to the body.

Use the 85+ control arms, plus custom radius rods and you will get the hub 2-3" forwards. Also the radius is much better so when you have a wheel at full lock it doesn't have positive camber. You don't need to touch the top. I would use custom extended struts instead of using strut extension blocks.

You would probably need to move the diff forward a few inches to make room for the larger tires to keep them away from the rear of the front fenderwells with only a 6" lift. The front part of the fenderwells would need to be cut out extra.
Doing what I said just above would make mounting the diff further forwards even better. and Would fix the tire on fender wall issue.

As for cutting out the bottom of the original tranny or running a dry sump, I think the low point under the flywheel might be the big problem, and I don't think you would gain much there unless you move the diff forward as well as the engine/tranny rearward. It could be major work.
This wasn't ment to be a simple mod ;)

Thinking on color... Obviously I wouldn't do this to my almost rust free red one. So I will be looking for a very cheap one. Which isn't going to have good paint. So, what colors do people think would look good? Crazy stripes? One color? Pearl color? Whats your thoughts.

Check on my site for my "other photochops" and look at my previous ideas for paint jobs.

why not pull a jerry and mod a hatch (hatchbrat)

seen his and loved it

I'll let you in on a little secret... Australia didn't get EA81 hatchs there is 3 that I know of in the country and they go for about three times more then a brat. Oh, one of them got crushed by accident, so make that two left...