Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing weirdness

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhh

i can't figure out the timing problem my car has.

-lack of power

-ping under load

-harder to start than it should be

I'm checking the timing with the distributor wiring harness unplugged like HTKYSA says to do. I'm leaving the vacuum line hooked up as HTKYSA didn't mention disconnecting it.

The timing is reading like 60deg BTDC. I don't think the distributor is in the wrong gear because i've rotated it one tooth either way and the car won't run, and when I take the bolts out of the dist mounts and rotate it past the mounting ears, the car dies before it gets to 20deg BTDC.

The car is an 86 GL10 turbowagon with 5 speed. the wiring is from same; the engine is 87 XT turbo with 10,000 miles on it since a rebuild so I don't think the timing belts are off... I ditched the distributor from the 87 XT engine because it was the optical kind with no vacuum advance, and I'm using the stock distributor for my car.

I'm considering:

*new coil/cap/rotor/wires (not optimistic about this fix though)

*distributor is not properly compatible with this engine (are the XT cams different or something? not optimistic about this fix either)

*worn distributor (this was never a problem before my stock engine died though)

*I don't know where the #1 cylinder is (front right, next to the oil fill tube... or was it front left? :P)

*run premium to help with the ping before i chase the timing problem?

What do I do?

Sincerely,

Confused

Well first, you do need to disconnect the vacuum hose from the distributor when checking the timing. Also #1 is the front right cylinder. And your timing should be set to 25deg BTC.

Don't worrie about the cams, Turbo models used the same cam.

Have you checked the ECU for codes???