Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Window Panel Removal 95 Legacy Sedan

I need help,

How in the #@&$-ing world do I remove the rear carpeted window panel in a 95 legacy sedan? I'd like to take it out to clean off all the dead bugs and ex-girlfriends' hair I can't reach with a vacuum way up under the corner of the rear window. I'm also thinking about changing out the speakers while I was in there. If I didn't know better, it seems like the easiest way is just going to be to remove the rear windshield.

I successfully removed the third brake light in the window, saw the pop fasteners towards the rear, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the rear headrests to get the panel the rest of the way out of the window (the panel is tucked under the headrests). I removed the fold-down portion of the rear seats, the brackets holding those on, and the molding where the seats sit when folded up. And from there I got stuck. I yanked, pulled, pried, cried, cursed, swore, kicked the dog, kicked the other dog (twice) and still couldn't figure it out. Long story short, I put it all back together and admitted defeat. Then I saw a strand of brunette and remembered my original motivation. So now I'm sitting here pissed and faced with the reality of being a quiter.

Does anyone know how I can get that rear panel out of there? If not, I'm going to go with plan "B"--an 8-pound, wooden-handled rear window removal tool. Heck, I don't think the rear defroster works anyway and it'll probably just be faster and cheaper in the long run.

I knew I should have bought the wagon...

Thanks for your help USMB,

-V5

kicked the dog, kicked the other dog (twice)
i think it's funny, but many like pets more than people or treat their pets like people, so you won't likely get away without commentary on that.

did you look in the trunk up under the panel to see if there's anything there holding it in? could you get any of it up, the front, the corners, anything pried up at all to at least tell what was preventing it from coming out?

i'd be willing to bet the back rest of the rear seat has to come out, which means the seat cushion of the rear seat has to come out.

good luck.

while doiing all of this be sure not to lose the grab loops to the fold down seats. if they get folded back into the trunk and the seat closes and latches... well it's a pain.

i think it's funny, but many like pets more than people or treat their pets like people, so you won't likely get away without commentary on that.

did you look in the trunk up under the panel to see if there's anything there holding it in? could you get any of it up, the front, the corners, anything pried up at all to at least tell what was preventing it from coming out?

GrossGary, I apologize. I didn't mean to offend you or any others. I wouldn't kick the dogs even if I could catch 'em. And since I'm clearing the air here, just for the record I didn't really cry, either, and only swore a little. But I really did yank, pull, and pry my little heart out. Those headrests are in there very solidly.

I was inverted in the trunk most of the time with a flashlight and big hammer and all I could see was the two bolts holding in the brakelight and those snap fasteners. I did manage to get the edge against the rear window to lift up but couldn't get it out because the angle of the rear window is steaper than the angle to get that panel out.

-V5

GrossGary, I apologize.
ha ha, i don't care, no appologies needed for me. just a fair warning that their are some hardcore pet lovers.

anyway....when you removed the brake light, wasnt' it fastened by a bracket? did you remove the entire bracket/brake light assembly? i agree that the back rest will likely have to come out, though i seem to recall some plastic fasteners that push out easiest from inside the trunk...again not something you dig into often so my memory is vague.

someone with an FSM needs to chime in...that should show it. stop by your local subaru dealer if noone here pipe's up. if their nice they'll show the page in the FSM that tells you how to remove it.

i'd be willing to bet the back rest of the rear seat has to come out, which means the seat cushion of the rear seat has to come out.

good luck.

while doiing all of this be sure not to lose the grab loops to the fold down seats. if they get folded back into the trunk and the seat closes and latches... well it's a pain.

John, I'm sure you're right. The back rest will have to come out which means the entire rear seat will have to come out just to get at it. I guess that is my ultimate question, "how do I get the rear seat trim assembly out"?

Also, thanks for the heads-up on those grab loops. I didn't even think about it. But it wouldn't be the first time I had to climb in through the trunk to fix one of my mistakes. I guess I got lucky last night.

Thanks again, John, for your help on this and the AWD!

-V5

ha ha, i don't care, no appologies needed for me. just a fair warning that their are some hardcore pet lovers.

anyway....when you removed the brake light, wasnt' it fastened by a bracket? did you remove the entire bracket/brake light assembly? i agree that the back rest will likely have to come out, though i seem to recall some plastic fasteners that push out easiest from inside the trunk...again not something you dig into often so my memory is vague.

someone with an FSM needs to chime in...that should show it. stop by your local subaru dealer if noone here pipe's up. if their nice they'll show the page in the FSM that tells you how to remove it.

GrossGary, I'm a militant pet owner myself but I'll consider myself warned...

There was no bracket on the rear brake light. Just two large bolts that only need to be loosened so the assembly can slide back and then up and out after it gets unplugged. You are also exactly correct about the plastic fasteners. I popped them up and out from inside of the trunk with that big hammer of mine (I think there are 4 or 5 of 'em). I knew this was going to be a pain and why I've put it off for years. It's really just an excuse to hide from the family. I hate the Holidays...

I also just re-consulted my Chilton. Looks like I missed two bolts, one on each side, down below the rear seat cushions. Remove those two bolts and everythign should lift up and out. But that means the ENTIRE rear seat, top and bottom, has to come out. That sucks! But on a positive not, it should kill a few more hours...

Thank you for your help,

-V5

V5 - actually the rear seats usually aren't too hard to remove, but your family won't know that! with the caveat that you know where the few bolts are of course. the more annoying part is removing trim. but i don't think you have to remove any side trim to get the seats out, so that's a good thing.

John, I'm sure you're right. The back rest will have to come out which means the entire rear seat will have to come out just to get at it. I guess that is my ultimate question, "how do I get the rear seat trim assembly out"?

Also, thanks for the heads-up on those grab loops. I didn't even think about it. But it wouldn't be the first time I had to climb in through the trunk to fix one of my mistakes. I guess I got lucky last night.

Thanks again, John, for your help on this and the AWD!

-V5

i was working with a 95 leg sedan.

2 bolts for the seat bottom near the floor in front of the seat cushion. the rear of the seat bottom hooks (the bottom has loop bracket) on to the seat back bracket that hangs down in the crack betwen the two. i think you have to push the bottom cushion to the rear and down, and then slide forward. you may be able to look under the cushion with a flash light to see the hook and loop bracket.

then you unbolt the bottom brackets for the seat back, at least 2 maybe a third in the middle. these hang down from the seat back and bolt to the frame. (have the fold down part closed but not latched when you remove the seat back and carry hinge side up.) now i'm fuzzy, but i think there is/are another set of hook and loop brackets for the top on either side. but i can't remember , try lifting the seatback up and off of the hooks. if that doesn't work you may have to pop off the plastic trim on either side to find some bolts.

mine doesn't have headrests, so i can't guess how they complicate things, but while you have the seat out consider washing all the spilled coke and pepsi off of it. i hosed mine off and all sorts of stuff ran out of it. the seat cushion is a big piece of formed foam, not very absorbent. but it does take some time to dry.

good luck.

UPDATE:

Project successfully finished (applause). It was actually incredibly easy once I knew the order (thank you John). Feel a little bit silly, actually.

Here's a quick write-up to hopefully "pay-it-forward" for all the help I've received here at USMB and to help others unfortunate enough to own the sedan.

There are only a total of 5 bolts and 4 (now 3 for me) plastic fasteners to remove. The good news is NO molding has to be removed to get that panel out.

Remove the two 12mm bolts for the bottom of the back seat located near the floor directly under the right and left seats. Unhook the middle of the bottom of the seat by lifting up on the front slightly and pushing down on the back where the two fold-down seats separate (acutally it is slightly off-center). Now slide the seat forward and it should slide right out. Set out of the way and keep an eye out for curious neighborhood cats (if performing procedure out-of-doors).

Now remove the 12mm bolt holding that hook on that you just unhooked the seat bottom from. There are two more 12mm bolts, one on each side holding on the sides of the seat back down on two hooks at the top. After you get those out, just lift the entire back portion of the seat up and slightly back (there are two hooks at the top you have to lift it up and off of). You don't even have to take the seat backs off if you don't want but it will make it much lighter if you are doing it by yourself.

Next, climb in the trunk on your back and loosen the 2 10mm bolts holding the rear brake light. You have to loosen the bolts quite a bit as there is also a plastic fastener towards the front of the car on the bottom of the rear brake light assembly. Don't forget to unplug the wiring.

Now take a blunt object (NOT THE PALM OF YOUR HAND) and SLOWLY work the plastic fasteners up and out. If you do this too quickly, you'll punch the plastic fastener right up through the particle board--the reason I now only have 3 fasteners securing the panel and plus it messes up the carpeting.

Come back to the front, lift the panel up in the middle so it bends slightly to get it out from under the molding running down the rear window stays and start sliding it out. When you get half way, stop. Feed the rear brake assembly through the hole (trust me, it will fit, you just have to find proper orientation). Slide it the rest of the way out. Boom! You got it!!

To get it back together, just repeat the process. They only words of caution I have is to be aware of those plastic fasteners poking down from the panel when you are sliding it back in and don't forget to feed the rear brake assembly back through. Know where the holes are for the plastic fasteners and don't stop sliding in the panel until you got 'em lined-up (you can easily see them from the below). Give 'em a good wack and you're most of the way home.

Make the carpeting look pretty. Re-secure the rear brake assembly and put the seating back in.

Total, in-and-out was about a 30-minute job plus whatever else you are looking to accomplish.

Piece-of-cake, really! I only managed to bloody 3 knuckles.

Thanks again everyone for ALL of your help!!! This is a great forum you all have here.

-V5