Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last year at this time my friend and I replaced a leaky water pump on my 95 legacy wagon, not sure if it was the pump or gasket, but replaced the pump and gasket to cover our bases. This was the second time the water pump had been replaced in less than a year. The first time I had paid for the repair out of my pocket and was a little upset when it started to leak. I got ahold of the dealership and they replaced the water pump no questions, just didn't want to pay me for the labor.

OK. We then went on to install the pump tightening all bolts according to specs. Finished the job and no leak. So for the past 11-12months I was feeling pretty good, then last month I noticed coolant leaking onto the snow and thought the worse. This will be the 3rd pump in less than 24 months. I am beginning to think that the pump isn't bad but the gasket didnn't seed correctly. The coolant is leaking from the same spot as the last time. Placing yourself directly below and looking straight up at the thermostat (feet in front of vehicle), and just to the right. It is where the pump sits next to the block, there is a little slit and this is where it is leaking. DAMN IT!!! Any thoughts? Bad pump, bad gasket? I would think that I would have to replace the pump and gasket again just to make sure. The last time I replaced it I did not use any sealants. I was under the impression that I was not supposed to.

Last year at this time my friend and I replaced a leaky water pump on my 95 legacy wagon, not sure if it was the pump or gasket, but replaced the pump and gasket to cover our bases. This was the second time the water pump had been replaced in less than a year. The first time I had paid for the repair out of my pocket and was a little upset when it started to leak. I got ahold of the dealership and they replaced the water pump no questions, just didn't want to pay me for the labor.

OK. We then went on to install the pump tightening all bolts according to specs. Finished the job and no leak. So for the past 11-12months I was feeling pretty good, then last month I noticed coolant leaking onto the snow and thought the worse. This will be the 3rd pump in less than 24 months. I am beginning to think that the pump isn't bad but the gasket didnn't seed correctly. The coolant is leaking from the same spot as the last time. Placing yourself directly below and looking straight up at the thermostat (feet in front of vehicle), and just to the right. It is where the pump sits next to the block, there is a little slit and this is where it is leaking. DAMN IT!!! Any thoughts? Bad pump, bad gasket? I would think that I would have to replace the pump and gasket again just to make sure. The last time I replaced it I did not use any sealants. I was under the impression that I was not supposed to.

are u running anti freeze or water? With water you do not get the proper lubrication, and did u get any overheating issues at all? And are u 100 percent sure its actually the water pump?

Great question nipper. When I had the dealership install the first water pump, they installed a pump that says Japan on the side of it. I know I sound like an rump roast saying that, but can I assume this is a subaru water pump manufactured in japan? Other than that I have no idea where they get their pumps. I did contact them about the the initial leak last year and they sent me another pump. I do have the pump they installed, I was supposed to send it back to them.....never did. I also have the box and order # of the pump they sent to me (2nd pump, which I installed). I think I will be doing some tracking of this pump. Any other ideas?

Nipper, the first pump was a rebuilt from Coredone. The second was a new pump manufactured by Signature Series. I understand that there is a possibility that both pumps may seep coolant from the weep hole, but I find it highly unlikely that two pumps in less than 24 months would do this, even if they aren't genuine subaru. I know the weep hole is not visible , so I am not 100% sure, the leak looks like it is from the bottle seal of the pump. I am wondering if a stop leak may be the solution?

If its a gasket leak, then stopleak will help. If its the weephole, there is nothing that can be done. If two are leaking and the repairs were done at the same place, i would suspect the technician doing the job. You really have to work hard to ruin a waterpump upon install on these cars.

Have you had a timing belt replaced recently? If yes, was it a OE belt they used?

nipper