Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Our '94 Legacy came to us without cruise control. Lately, I've been contemplating adding a cruise control system, either a Subaru system from a wrecking yard or an aftermarket system. The only aftermarket supplier I've found is JC Whitney, whose products I generally avoid. I would appreciate any observations or advice regarding the quality of Subaru factory cruise control and the relative ease of installation of the components.

Phil

'94 Legacy of humble origins: manual trans,

2wd, manual windows, no air

conditioning, but, alas, no cruise control.

The factory cruise control isn't too difficult to install, It dose require taking the airbag off of the steering wheel though. If you do decide to get one from a wrecking yard, you will need to get one from another 92-94 with the same transmission. Getting a new cruise control kit from a dealer may be a better option since you'll get the installation instructions.

• 1 year later...

It dose require taking the airbag off of the steering wheel though

i was told by a friend of mine that you can just remove the steering wheel,you gotta disengage the air bag.something like disconnecting the battery for like 5 mins. does anyone know exactly how to do it??

$54 seems really cheap for the control module, cable, steering wheel stick, etc.

But, ya never can tell.

The cruise kits are among those obsolete accessories discounted well below cost. There are people who bought and installed them, so it's a real deal.

Wow, that's amazingly cheap, but I think it'll take a bit more knowledge than being able to turn a screwdriver in order to get it properly installed.

With decent mechanical abilities, I'm sure it could be done on a weekend with a good supply of a carbonated adult beverage.

Wow, that's amazingly cheap, but I think it'll take a bit more knowledge than being able to turn a screwdriver in order to get it properly installed.

With decent mechanical abilities, I'm sure it could be done on a weekend with a good supply of a carbonated adult beverage.

I'll let you know next week. I don't forsee any problems, the instructions are detailed and seem pretty straight forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just finished installing the factory cruise kit on my '95 Legacy sedan MT. It was pretty easy. The hardest part was fitting the control unit up behind the glove box and working under the dash putting in the safety switches. You will need a T30 security torx (the one with a hole in the center) bit to remove the air bag. They are torqued down so I, put the bit into a 1/4" socket to break it free. Otherwise just basic tools are needed. Had it in and tested in just under two hours. Definatley a worthwhile upgrade.

-Handtool

Was the throttle already set up for the cable?

Yep, everything is there. The cable for the cruise runs and mounts right along the accelerator cable. Just adjust it so there is no slack and it's not opening the throttle. For $50 it can't be beat.