Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Disk Brake conversion on 85 Brat

I recently printed the procedure from this site on the conversion and I have a question about donor cars. I have located an 86 Turbo XT6 that has rear disk brakes but the wheels have a five bolt lug patern. Since I wish to stay with the stock wheels, can I swap out the hubs and rotors from front wheels of EA81's.

No, you can't. They are different and smaller. What you want to look for is any EA82 car. Specifically any wagon, sedan, coupe or XT(not the XT6) in turbo form. Almost all of them had the rear disc brakes. 2wd or 4WD will work but if you need 4WD you'll need at least the rear hubs. All the rest of the parts are the same.

You may want to share the locale of the XT6 as many of the board members are looking to do a 5 lug conversion.

Good luck!

Rich, It's about damn time you showed up here. (For those that don't know, Rich bought my old gray BRAT and not a day has gone by that I haven't regretted selling it)

BTW, It's an 86 BRAT unless you are talking about your old one. AND, I know where there is a disc brake setup off of an XT. One last thing regarding the swap, It is my understanding from others who have done the swap that the backing plate on a 2wd turbo differs from the backing plate on a 4wd turbo.

one thing i know FOR SURE is that the 2wd and 4wd rear caliper and rotor are the same, mount the same, the only thing that is different is the hub. maybe the backing plate is different if i remember correctly.

i have backing plate and caliper from 4wd, and a 2wd rotor on my setup

• 10 years later...