Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$1500.00- Is this a good deal? Should I buy it?

A guy at work is selling a 1990 Legacy wagon for 1500. I have not had a chance to see it but assuming it's in good condition inside and out (no rust, tears in the seat, etc.) is this a good deal? He says it will need a transmission soon.

Here's a quote from his ad on our work's classifieds:

Four-wheel drive, peppy 2.2L, 4-speed automatic

Cruise control, AC, pw, yada yada

Engine rebuilt at 218k, currently 259k

Epinions’ suggested selling price is $2700 to 3700. Asking only $1500 because it will need a new transmission real soon now.

Sorry if this belongs in the Newer Generation section, but I think it's marginal enough to post. Plus I'm familiar with more ppl here...

For the Epinions suggested price (who uses that for used car values?) you could get a mid-90's Legacy with a perfectly good transmission, at least here in the NW. For 1500 you should be able to find an early 90's Legacy around here that doesn't need anything. I would pass and just keep your eye out here and on Craigslist. And check the new gen forum for what to check when you test drive a Legacy, since they can have some issues that our old gens don't have.

Yeah, you are in Subaru MECCA! Them things are all over the place on the western half of the state (and out side, for that matter). Pass on it and wait for a lower-mileage, non-rebuilt version of that car for the same price.

I'd say you should be able to get a similar car with 100k miles less for that price.

i dont know where those $1500 100k mile subarus are. they aren't out here. subaru is just another way of spelling gold out here.

200k+ for around $1500 is about the norm, sad i know. hell i just paid $1000 for a salvage titled legacy, but i knew it was a fender bender and that the insurance company didn't want to fix it, but still. and i think i could make money on it just because it has lower miles.

the early legacys have hit there bottom in price and just aren't getting any lower, you are now paying for miles and condition.

A guy at work is selling a 1990 Legacy wagon for 1500. I have not had a chance to see it but assuming it's in good condition inside and out (no rust, tears in the seat, etc.) is this a good deal? He says it will need a transmission soon.

Here's a quote from his ad on our work's classifieds:

Four-wheel drive, peppy 2.2L, 4-speed automatic

Cruise control, AC, pw, yada yada

Engine rebuilt at 218k, currently 259k

Epinions’ suggested selling price is $2700 to 3700. Asking only $1500 because it will need a new transmission real soon now.

Sorry if this belongs in the Newer Generation section, but I think it's marginal enough to post. Plus I'm familiar with more ppl here...

Not marginal at all.. Completely EJ -

Off to new Gen!

(I wouldn't buy it for $1500 unless it was an LSi in really good shape)