Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door won't open?

Any ideas on this guys?

My passenger rear door won't open.. from either the outside or the inside.. in either the locked or unlocked positions.

I think what happened was one of my friends was trying to get out of the car with the door either locked or the almost locked position.

Thanks.

Eugene.

Maybe the Lock Wire is in bad Position...

I suggest to Try first to Unlock / Lock it several Times, maybe it Frees the Mechanism. If not, try to -Carefully- Remove the internal door Handle, and Try to Remove the Door Cover. if you can, try to move the Lock steel Wire (goes Horizontally) but I think is very difficult to Take the Door`s Cover with the Door Closed...

Good Luck! :)

doubt it's cold enough down there, but doors can freeze shut as well. it would have to get wet and freeze shortly afterwards so i'm guessing in GA this wasn't the cause. sitting out in sunlight or warming up the vehicle for a significant amount of time may be the only fix in these situations. not being able to get it open makes it tough to remove the door panel and have a peak doesn't it? since i've chased no short of 3 theives in atlanta, one trying to steal a car, i think i'd leave it in the stuck but locked position over trying to fix it and find it won't lock.

at this point you just need the door opened so you can remove the panel and have a look. i'd start pulling apart what you can from the inside, the door handle trim should be removable at least right?

my guess would be that the rod came out that works the door latch internally... should be able to pop the door panel off and get your arm in there and open the door manually with the internal mechanism...

it really depends on what the handles feel like... is there any resistance? a lot of resistance? clunking? exactly the same feel from both inside and outside?

once the connecting rod for the internal handle broke on one of my cars so I fixed it with a coat hanger... (:

recently on my ea81 wagon the rear passenger outside handle stopped working... just had to spray some pb blaster in there to loosen everything up and now it works fine...

--Spiffy

my EA81 had the same problem on the same door. like everybody's suggesting here, i poked around with coat hangars, banged the door with my fist, drank beer at it, everything. the interior handle definitely had some resistance to it, as if it were locked.

finally took the door panel off and found that the child's safety lock mechanism had slipped out of it's proper position. it was basically locking the car with no way to unlock it.