Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Carbed Justy cold start

Hello,

I just bought an 89 justy couple weeks ago and just thought I'd see if anyone has had a simular problem with thier cars. When the cars cold its hard to start and does not Idle until its warm then its fine.

The engine light was on and the previous owner said it said the Idle up/soleniod valve was actiing up.

Stared at the chiltons until I found it and hopefully I can find it when I start to dig in this weekend.

Thanks

chad

First: Welcome! :)

I think it´s due by a Bad Choke, and I think that is Electric. Maybe is just Disconnected, or maybe it has Burned its Resistor.

I suggest to Check it Carefully, remove the Air Filter Box, and Start the Engine, at Idle, turn Manually -if you can- the Choke Plate to almost Close, then the Idle shall go up a little.

if there isn´t any movement on the Choke when you Start the car cool, that´s the Problem.

Good Luck! :burnout:

Yep, as Ronan said, " check those vacuum lines." My last carbed Justy had a vac line behind the carb that kept coming off . It was very hard to see,,, so every vacuum line on it, follow to make sure both ends are connected & rubber is not rotten.

The Justy carb was a complicated, & $$ thing. Once you get it running " pretty good ", you may leave well enough alone.Also, make sure it has a good fuel filter, & run a dose of GOOD carb cleaner thru it.

got in and took a look and it seems that the choke linkage is FUBAR and the choke just flops around like a fish out a water. I held the choke closed and started it and it idled.

think the easiest thing to do would be put a manual choke on it.

the previous owner said a couple years ago a new carb went on and by the looks of it it looks pretty new. It runs fine once its all warmed up and revs fine just gotta get the choke working.

thanks

chad

chip,

One of the JUSTYhedz, 'Scoobaru' just tore down a carb in a seriously surgical way, diagrams, photos everything Chilton didn't bother with and more. I'm trying to find his username on these boards, will send it your way ASAP.

Best Luck; Skill,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

126, 711 miles