Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.7l loyale monster

Yeah. At least one of our members has done it in the loyale body. Another has one in a 78-79 Brat. Biggest problem is the length difference and where to mount the radiator. But it has been done.

hmm possible extension on face of loyale work?. loayle will look funcky with longer nose. lol. will the engine bay support the extra weight?

It shouldn't be a problem with the weight at all. You may also want to look into the ej22 conversion. But since you are getting the other xt6 you should have all you'd need minus a couple here and there.

thats the plan the other xt6 is the donor vehicle probablyu use xt rims and struts ect.. should i? on a offroad machine?

The auto 4wd will probably have air struts, I wouldn't go that route at all. The rims should be fine though. You'd have to do the 5 lug conversion, but th isn't really that difficult to do. Look in the USRM and the retro fitting forum for more on that.

Also Loyale 2.7 Turbo here on the board is the one I know of who has put that motor in a loyale wagon.

Also in the Classified's Vendor section there are a couple really good companies making lifts for the ea82 cars.

... Biggest problem is the length difference and where to mount the radiator. But it has been done.

Yes, it is; and Weight is a Problem, but not in the way you Think: suspension. The Problem is with the Brakes Handling... Now it has Poor Brakin´ under Higher Speeds, or Emergency Brakin´

Well, I have two Loyale Wagons, the White one is with the Stock EA82 but Weberized, and the Yellow one has the ER27 Engine from a Crashed XT6.

The project to Swap the ER27 on a loyale took too much work... Effort... Patience... and Inventive, you need to modify some of things...

Our project started in Early 2002... dad Purchased the second Loyale wagon, first with the Idea of use it as a "Parts Car" for the White one, but then the Project to Swap the ER27 engine Begun with the Crash of a Friend´s Xt6. The Project is still in progress. :slobber: Let me Explain:

Some things are still Waitin´ to be Solved -or Completely Solved- as the Radiator, the Standard one doesn`t fit, so we first made some sort of a small pair of radiators interconnected each other, with an electric fan, located at one side of the engine, but it overheats easily...

Then the extra weight is a problem with brakes...

I have the project of upgrade brakes with some bigger ones, and to ad a turbo (For more info about it, search in: www.xt6.net ) but I don`t believe the turbo can be fitted yet, due to the engine`s overheatin` trouble... unless I solve it.

If I can solve it, maybe puttin` a Radiator "Under" the engine as other member suggested, I will install a turbo on the ER27, for it I need to put in the Pistons of the EA82T, and other "minorities" (As the intake Manyfold... etc) ...

But that part of the Project cost too much money, and I don`t have enough... :mad: ...for now. I begun grabbin´ some of the Things I´ll need for that, as the EA82T Pistons, and other things, it Still Remains as an unfinished Project.

So, unfinished yet but it Runs!, My Dad uses it at our Home for Short Trips. Since now I´m Workin´ far away home, I bring with me the EA82 wagon, and I use it as my Daily Driver, so the yellow one as my "Weekend Warrior" :)

You can see mages of ´em at my Photo Gallery, or my Website.

... You may also want to look into the ej22 conversion. ...

I think a EJ Conversion is a Good Idea too... Lightweight and Powerfull... I Think to buy -maybe Someday- a Brat, and Swap in it an EJ Engine! ... but that, is Another Story... :)

Good Luck! :headbang:

• 6 months later...
Well...

I was thinkin on Swap the Entire Face of the XT6 to the Wagon too... but I think that will Look Funky Rare...

Been seriously thinking of this very same swap! With 16 years of autobody, I am sure I can hang the XT6 nose on the '90 loyale and have it look good. Not sure how DMV will like it, having two different serial #'s/bodies. The tranny is shaky on the XT6 (AWD) so I want to use the manual fron the loyale (pushbutton 4WD) and swap all brake hardwares.

Anyone know about putting a manual behing the ER27. I need to get a definite answer to what trans will work with the ER27 before I start this (soon) lol

Both cars are MPFI's so it should be a quick hookup.

I had a ER-27 in my 85 wagon. The major obsticles were, getting the engine in without the transmission attached as it is so long, But removing the upper core support worked like a champ. And it needed it anyway as my nonstock alternator and PS pump would almost run into it. And for a radiator I ran a VW rabbit radiator, and it worked equally as well as my 4.0 liter jeep radiator in the back of my 84 wagon with the same engine. Yes the 5 speed will bolt up to the er-27 also.

Matt

Thanks for the info! I'm sort of new to these Subie mods and was wondering if there is any way to use the 3.7 ratio components from the auto trans and put them to use in the manual setup. I guess I'm not sure how the cases are configured. Are they like a tranny/transfer case setup, or are they all or none case configurations? The 3.9 final drive would be OK, but it would be nicer to have 3.7 for economy since the 2.7L would have plenty of power already by itself. Everything in the XT6 works great, except the tranny which has foul smelling fluid, though it seems to shift fine. Also when I push the "low hold" button it locks the tranny as if I put full pressure on the brake pedal. Not sure what thats all about? It only has 135,000 on it. Unfortunately the underside spent too many WI. winters to be worth putting back on the road. Too bad.

I appreciate any comments/suggestions in doing this swap

Thanks for the info! I'm sort of new to these Subie mods and was wondering if there is any way to use the 3.7 ratio components from the auto trans and put them to use in the manual setup. I guess I'm not sure how the cases are configured. Are they like a tranny/transfer case setup, or are they all or none case configurations? The 3.9 final drive would be OK, but it would be nicer to have 3.7 for economy since the 2.7L would have plenty of power already by itself. Everything in the XT6 works great, except the tranny which has foul smelling fluid, though it seems to shift fine. Also when I push the "low hold" button it locks the tranny as if I put full pressure on the brake pedal. Not sure what thats all about? It only has 135,000 on it. Unfortunately the underside spent too many WI. winters to be worth putting back on the road. Too bad.

I appreciate any comments/suggestions in doing this swap

if you want the 3.7 ratio gears, you can swap the internals of the tranny and rear diff, or use the tranny and rear diff out of a manual turbo car (any EA82T cars will do, turbo XT's are also fine)

an idea for those of you with radiator problems. there are 2 guys here in MN who are shoehorning EG33 6-cyls into imprezas. both are using the same radiator idea. use a radiator that's half as tall, and then you can stick it up in the bumper easier. it wouldn't work quite the same way with an EA-series car....but it might help:

IMG_9992.jpg

(that's not an intercooler...it's his radiator)

and the other one hasn't been mounted yet, he used a ron davis custom radiator. and they messed up the first one (it looks awesome, but the put the inlet in the wrong place:

P1010115.jpg

P1010117.jpg

"2 & 1/2 inch core, 13 by 22 with 1 and 1/2 inch tanks"

now, about the ER27. keep in mind that this will be virtually the same project as an EJ22 swap, with more modification (same wiring project, won't need an adapter plate, but an EJ22 will at least fit in the engine bay), and it's still just a bigger EA82. you've still got 2 timing belts, still got a distributer, etc.

and you've still got zero aftermarket/upgrade uptions.

if you've got an ER27 donor car, and you have the time, patience, and skills to do this swap, I say go for it. but you sounded a little weary about wiring the EJ22 swap.....and this isn't any easier, and there isn't a writeup telling you exactly how to do it.

Well, I got the XT6 hellofa cheap and it runs awesome, paid little for the wagon which has 258,000 on it, and I have lots of time and patience to boot. As for putting the radiator in front of the support, I had looked at that as being a feasible option since the wagon has no A/C and will be my 3 season car. May fabricate an "X" brace of 1/4" rod in front of the radiator corner to corner to give it some protection of sorts. Took the XT6 out for a short run tonight and now second gear is locking. I work at a tranny shop and my boss says the clutches are wore out and seizing together. I will have lots of XT/XT6 parts available soon! lol

Thanks again for the helps!

• 1 month later...

it seems like alot of people are thinking/trying to put the 2.7 into an ea car. it also seems like people who havent done it, or havent done it successfully keep on telling everybody that its easy, and can be done...

well, i did it, and it is way too long and way too heavy. it doesnt have very good horsepower for how big and long it is. The timing belts/tensioners/pullys are wussy. the motor hangs way too far forward, and I had to make a front motor mount on my bumper to keep it from pulling the transmission up!

putting an xt front end on it wont help much, because youd have to cut the unibody off at the firewall, and run the whole front clip. theres a motor mount on the front rad support, which also acts like a x member.

theres no room for a radiator, and guys who have done it successfully(4?)and ran it for more than a couple hundred miles (like me putting on 12k) rebuilt the whole front of the car, or had a big lift so they had room above the motor, under the hood, or in the bed of a brat...

Hindsight has shown me i shoulda went ej in the first place, theres a reason subaru only made the er27 for a couple years.

an ej plate is cheap now, use the xt6 for the flywheel and clutch parts, and run a 2.2.

now im back to the ea81 motor, so my radiator is way overkill, i have about 2 feet of space between my motor and rad, and my frame rails are clearanced for no reason at all =]

hell, my front lift kit was even overbuilt with less camber to handle the weight of the big six... or Japanese Big Block as i used to call it.