Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do i remove c/v's from the rear diff

Should have roll pins in them, you'll need a straight punch and a hammer to get the pin out. not sure on the size right off, but most auto stores have them. You may not be able to see where they are because of crud but they are there.

For my 96, it does not have roll pins on the rear CVs - only the front. You need to take a large prypar, land it on one of the screw heads (not on the housing) and then pop the CV off.

There is a circlip on the end of the spline shaft that goes into the diff. Make sure it is accounted for on either end. In my case, it stayed inside the diff instead of on the shaft. This is what you are trying to fight as you pull off the shaft.

Reassemble by popping it back in.

For my 96, it does not have roll pins on the rear CVs - only the front. You need to take a large prypar, land it on one of the screw heads (not on the housing) and then pop the CV off.

There is a circlip on the end of the spline shaft that goes into the diff. Make sure it is accounted for on either end. In my case, it stayed inside the diff instead of on the shaft. This is what you are trying to fight as you pull off the shaft.

Reassemble by popping it back in.

Good to know. I have got to do some stuff to mom's 98 coming up in the spring.

In my case, it stayed inside the diff instead of on the shaft. /quote]

Good info JPX, thanks. Just curious, did your circlip stay in place ready to accept the new shaft, or did it fall down into the differential housing and have to be fished out?

It stayed put, but I can imagine that it could pop out.

Here is a shot of the inside of the diff with the shaft pulled and the side plate removed.

6218185960.jpg

Long story about the "dent" in the plate.:rolleyes: But this shows the spline tip that goes into the diff.

2035802_29.jpg