Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front struts Questions

I just put new rear shocks in my 78 Brat. Man what a difference that made over the old worn out originals. Now I would like to do the front struts. I know they have not been made in a long time. Any suggestions? I have heard that ea-81 struts can be used. But doesn't parts on it need to be relocated to make it fit right? If so wouldn't you need to weld those pieces back in place. Now last time I checked these things are under pressure and I don't see how with the heat produced by a welder you could do this without destroying the strut. I suppose you might be able to if you just weld a little spot at a time and let it sit forever to fully cool. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Better yet anybody have a pair of NOS front struts for sale?:grin:

About 4 years ago I replaced the front strut inserts (shocks) on my 1978 4WD wagon. I just checked today at the parts store and they are still listed in the catalogue. They are Gabriel shocks and the part number is G44730. They suit years 6/76 to 8/80. I would assume the Brat uses the same strut. Are these no longer available new?

I checked Gabriel's web site and it only goes back to 1982!?! So maybe they no longer make them which would be a shame as they were gas shocks and made a nice improvement to my wagon.

I just put new rear shocks in my 78 Brat. Man what a difference that made over the old worn out originals. Now I would like to do the front struts. I know they have not been made in a long time. Any suggestions? I have heard that ea-81 struts can be used. But doesn't parts on it need to be relocated to make it fit right? If so wouldn't you need to weld those pieces back in place. Now last time I checked these things are under pressure and I don't see how with the heat produced by a welder you could do this without destroying the strut. I suppose you might be able to if you just weld a little spot at a time and let it sit forever to fully cool. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Better yet anybody have a pair of NOS front struts for sale?:grin:

Rich, you saw what I did for struts on the old brat I had right? that wasnt too bad to do... actually, I just have them sitting in storage right now if you needed to get inspired by them

-Mike

So are the original front struts rebuildable? I noticed on the top of the strut it almost looks like a big nut holding it together. I have one with the spring off it and that was just my impression. If not where do I find a strut with the part that the spring mounts on?