Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coil Spring Spacers, not lifts

Yeah, this is for a newer car and I posted it over there, too, but since you guys are more likely to have taken the least expensive route I thought you may have had experience with this... plus this is a general question not year specific. This is the post from the newer page:

Hey all, I searched high and low across the board for info on this, and didn't find any... so if you know, let me in on it...

I've got a 97 legacy L with a mildly lower rear than front. No big deal, except I put GT fitment tires on slightly offset wheels and now the tires rub on the rear fenders even though I rolled the lip. Just barely :-\

So I want to lift the back an inch. Cheap. Have any of you used these spacers before, and with what success?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MRG%2D1285&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If not those, do any of you know how the spring diam. compares to chevy or ford or toyota stuff? They make specific, much nicer spacers for those applications but not know the spring diameter ( even of the legacy! Best I've found is 5.25", but I don't know if that's inside, outside or center).

I'm also putting in an 18mm sway bar, so yall can avoid that suggestion now.

Thanks!

havent ever used that particular one before, but have used the spring "helpers" that are available at pretty much any auto parts store. they fit inbetween the coils of the spring. there are acouple of differnt styles of them, but they all work basically the same.

have used this one: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MRG&MfrPartNumber=1283&CategoryCode=3197

and this one:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MRG&MfrPartNumber=1284&CategoryCode=3197

first one is metal and twists in. second one is rubber, kind of a pain to get into place, but does work.

I have used them in about 3 of my various wagon when I was a delivery driver. I never liked the rubber ones cause they like to "shoot" out when you hit a hard bump. I like the ones that are actually reverse clamps that you screw in...these stay in better and you can also raise and lower them.

These ..and they are cheap:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MWI&MfrPartNumber=18910&CategoryCode=3197

Just remember you will need 2 sets ..only bad thing is they amke the back ride alittle rough

those look interesting - never tried them.

yeah, the rubber ones do have a bad habit of popping out if you are on a rough road, but they dont stiffen the ride too much.

we used the twist in metal ones on an old Ford Taurus - affectionately known as the "tore-a$$" - that poor car looked almost like a cartoon character when looking at it from the rear - shocks & springs pretty tired, tires tilted in at the top - replaced the shocks but it still looked "tired" - couple of the spring helpers and it straightened it out quite a bit.

I Use ´em on my Yellow Wagon, along with Ford Tempo´s Coil Springs, due to the Extra Weight of the ER27 Engine.

FrontSpringCoil.jpg?t=1177092349

Note that the Tempo´s Springs got two more turns than the Subie´s Springs, but the Last turn is Thinner, to help the Vehicle to Absorb better the Li´l road movements.

Yes, with those two things My Subie lifted enough to make the Front as Tall as the Rear (That I Lifted a Li´l bit usin´ Honda´s front Springs) and those Rubber "Donuts" work Great, and are Good Long Lastin´ too.

I Use the 4X4 version Struts, they´re Taller than the FWD ones.