Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The EJ swap begins!!

Hey all:

I just picked up a 93 legacy for my ej swap. 95000 miles, one family car. It got hit in the back but still rolls and the engine runs great. :banana: I paid $350! and am feelin' good about it. I had to tow it across the central valley of California in 100 degree temps today and the old range rover didn't like that too much, but we made it home safe and sound and the legacy is in the drive way ready to give its heart to the brat! I've got my adapter plate so we're off. Don't bet on a quick turnaround, because I'm slow, but hopefully by the fall I'll be done.:headbang:

Time to start shopping for the 5sp d/r and the flywheel and other odds and ends.

Has anyone used the stock legacy radiator instead of the ea81 radiator?

Awesome to see another convertor.

People have used the ej radiator but there is a lot of cutting involved. General concinsus is that the ea81 radiator will be enough for the ej22. Search the retrofitting forum, there have been a few threads about it.

Awesome to see another convertor.

People have used the ej radiator but there is a lot of cutting involved. General concinsus is that the ea81 radiator will be enough for the ej22. Search the retrofitting forum, there have been a few threads about it.

Ok great! I've got the ea to ej write up printed up and I've read it a few times. I cant wait to drive the brat with that ej motor! Good luck with your conversion.

Daniel

I've been working on mine since October. All the mechanical stuff was very easy it's just that pesky wiring. Just pay very close attention to the wiring. I might have mine running by the end of day today, but at this point I'm not very optimistic.

Make sure to post updates on your project on the board. I'd love to follow your progress to see what you've done and how you solved some of the small issues with the swap (like hooking up the radiator, your cooling fan, battery location, ecu location, oil pressure gadget, temp gadget, fuel surge tank, and wiring). It's always interesting to see how all the other EJ swappers have got these tasks accomplished. I've seen many different ways to do all of them, and they all work.

Also if your doing the 5sp swap you'll want to get Jerry's kit. It's the best. (bratsrus1)

good luck, earl

Good luck.

I am just working out the last bugs from my swap.

Took it for it's first drive on the freeway this morning.

I think the wheel bearings are bad. :dead:

If you need help PM me.

Regarding the wiring, make sure you have a good printout of the wiring for the ECU. Then just take the loom and trace wires from the plug to it's end. Most of the ECU stuff will go to the two plugs near the throttle body.

The wires that you need to splice out are ones for the AC and the power ones.

Mine BRAT has two harnesses. One for the engine and the original harness for the chassis. ECU is powered by a wire coming from the fuse box to through a 15 amp fuse to the ECU. ECU memory is through a 30 amp fuse directly hooked up to the battery.

Have fun and take pictures.

BW

I suppose attending the WCSS just for the EJ wiring harness tutorial is out of the question? :grin:

I would love to make it to the WCSS, but I didn't know I was going to be a subaru owner until late march and my summer time off was already scheduled for may and august. Next year I hope to make it.