Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a factory keyless entry module that I want to install in my 1999 Legacy. It is supposed to plug into a sixteen pin connector below the dash.

I assumed it would be an unused connector but the only 16 pin is hooked up to another connector that has four wires coming out. Is this normal, for the keyless entry plug to already be in use?

thanks,

John

mm...not sure. I'm not 100% on this but I think on that year the keyless is behind the glove box, the module nearest the fender.

Thanks, I have a look. I'm following the instructions that came with the module and they seem to be correct except for the connector.

My info shows that the module is behind the dash on the left side. One thing you could do to prove the connector is correct is to pull fuse #15 (10 amp) and the red/black wire going to the connector on pin #14 should drop power.

Could it clip in between the two existing electrical couplers rather than to an unused one?

Usually Subaru instructions are idiot proof.

I have had real good luck adding in Subaru Factory parts.

Keyless on my 01 Forester took 5 minutes total.

Alarm took 5 also.

Do you have instructions?

Not that real men would actually read them:rolleyes:

Could it clip in between the two existing electrical couplers rather than to an unused one?

Usually Subaru instructions are idiot proof.

I have had real good luck adding in Subaru Fa+ctory parts.

Keyless on my 01 Forester took 5 minutes total.

Alarm took 5 also.

Do you have instructions?

Not that real men would actually read them:rolleyes:

According to the instructions the door lock timer module is removed from it's bracket, disconnected from it's harness and discarded and the keyless entry module is mounted in it's place. The keyless module only has one connection plug so there's no way for it to clip between the two couplers.

I've looked way up under the dash using a flashlight and mirror trying to find another 16 pin connector and can't find any others. The coupler connected to the 16 pin only has four wires, so it certainly isn't using all sixteen pins. I'm beginning to think it was added later for some aftermarket part but I can't imagine what part that would be.

My info shows that the module is behind the dash on the left side. One thing you could do to prove the connector is correct is to pull fuse #15 (10 amp) and the red/black wire going to the connector on pin #14 should drop power.

Thanks, I'll try this in the next couple days.