Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OB - Throttle / Accelerator cable stuck

While driving I punched the accerator pedal to merge onto a fast moving hiway. Once in lane I pulled back on the pedal but the car continued to rev up and would not respond to the pedal. I turned off the ignition and roled off on to the shoulder. I jiggled the pedal a couple of times and restarted it - the engine still reved out. Shut it down and opened the hood. looked at the throtle cable and couldn't see anythng odd. Had the wife push the pedal a couple of times and saw the cable move. Got back in restarted and it's now OK. Been that way for a few days. Don't know what I did to fix it but it's just fine now.

Any ideas? Is a lubricant required?

Maybe with the engine off while parked you stuff the pedal a few times and see if you can get it to stick. There's a few things to check. First if the throttle cable has coroded or gotten dirty inside it could be sticking. Ditto the cruise control cable (if you have cruise). Also the return spring on the throttle body, is that in good shape?

Throttle cable lubricants are usually pretty specific. You don't want anything that will stay oily and attract dirt. For my '00obw Subaru says Slicolube G-30M. Probably another of those things that's only available in Japan. Yep a google search for Slicolube doesn't yield many hits. Like 3 or 4.