Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Death of a toyota 3.0l

WoodsWagon

I got called out to help a couple of my friends that had gotten an early 90's toyota stuck. I went out there, with my almost blown axle and 3cyl's, and pulled them out. The truck came out pretty easy, it wasn't that buried. They drove around the mudhole, I drove through where they got stuck. It was pretty slick stuff, had all 4 going and dollops of mud flying. They head into a pond where we sunk a cj7 years ago. The toyota was making good progress, got kinda stuck, but with rocking it was making it out the other side. The driver of the yota backed most of the way up in the pond, and made one hard run for the other side. I heard the engine sucking water noise from the bank as he redlined first in the water, then wham it was over. I knew this noise from when I killed my EA82.

Toyota had placed the air intake right behind the left headlight, so when that goes under, water is funneled into the airbox. The filter was soaked, I wrung streams of water out of it, and when we pulled the rubber intake tract off, waterfalls of water came out. We used paper towels to try and sop up what was in the throttle body. We decided it was best to pull the plugs, so we drove back out in my wagon and picked up tools (about a half hour trip).

We pulled the plugs (all were soaking wet), and cranked it over. Two revolutions, big gysers of water coming out, and Whack, it stopped. I turned it back by hand using the powersteering belt and I could hear what I assume to be the lower half of a rod making clinking noises as I turned it. We tried a few times to get it to spin over, but each time the broken rod would jam it with a wince-inducing WHACK.

So we know the trucks not coming out under it's own power... So we hook the subie up. By getting the full ropes length of a run, I could hammer the end and drag the truck forward out of the pond about a foot. I got the front of the truck up out of the water before my hook ripped off my bumper, nailed the front of the truck, and ricochetted somewhere into the pond, taking the 2 class 8 bolts with it. SOAB! That was a nice hook!

Reinforcements were called in, in the form of a 2.7l tacoma, which was untill today a pretty-boy truck. It's owner was a real champ, and he never complained about what must be a fair number of scratches in it's beautiful paint. With the tacoma bouncing off of the rope, and digging trenches, we got the yota out of the pond and turned around. The rear tow bar tore the frame on the tacoma, so we switched to using the front hook on the tacoma. At one point, the tacoma went 6 feet sideways on the end of the rope. Pretty cool to see a show truck having the everlivin snot beaten out of it.

Oh yeah, I had also gotten my car stuck in the first mudhole, 4th time through, and I got it sunk, so we used the taco to pull it out. We hooked my car up to the dead toyota, and I hauled it around the pond, back through the first mudhole, and 2/3's of the way up the first hill before the 3cyl's bogged and stalled. We hooked the tacoma back up and had him reverse-haul the truck up the 2n'd long hill, which is also off-camber and rutted. Once we had the truck up that, we hooked it back up to the subie, and I made the haul out of the woods (about a mile and a half of trails) and out to the road. From there, the subie hauled the truck about 4 miles on the street to a local shop. Never shifted out of 2nd, and spend some time redlineing in 1st getting up hills. Luckily the CV held together. The hardest part was intersections, where the toyota put up more resistance while turning and would try to drag the back of my car sideways.

So the truck needs a new engine, the tacoma needs the frame bent back down and reinforced, and I need to find my hook in the pond (mabe magnet fishing?). I worked my car real hard today, and it's still chuggin and clickin but rolling along under it's own power just as good as it did before. It's also coated in chunky thick mud. Only burned half a quart of oil during the whole adventure.

yea, I've heard from numerous sources (as well as figured it out in about 8 seconds of looking under the hood of my yota) that stock intake = keep the lights above the surface.

oh yea, and solid tow points are a must. just imagine if that tow hook had been on a path about a foot higher....it would've gone through the back window of the cab, and possibly hit the driver (happened to my uncle, same thing, hook ripped off the bumper, 2 guys in the truck were looking backwards, and the hook and strap flew through both the back window and the windshield of the truck right between them.

at the very least, toss a floor mat over the rope to help pull it earthward as it flies.

oh yea.....did I mention? I hate mud. for that very reason. it takes just a moment for a tough run to turn into an all night extraction, that destroys/damages numerous vehicles in the effort.

yea, I've heard from numerous sources (as well as figured it out in about 8 seconds of looking under the hood of my yota) that stock intake = keep the lights above the surface.

It took me about 8 seconds to bend the intake hose up and out of the way. I've had water over the hood a few times now, which means in excess of 4 feet.

intake.jpg

oh yea.....did I mention? I hate mud. for that very reason

It wasn't mud that killed his engine, or the soob's engine previously, it was water. Do you hate water too? Good luck getting into mud 4 feet deep with a stock truck, or most other trucks for that matter.

I'd blame all of this on the drivers and their lack of experience, lack of preperation, and lack of common sense. Not to mention lack of extraction methods. A Soob is not an extraction method for a 3600+ lb truck, I'm sorry.

I love mud, here's what my truck looked like after last weekend. Water over the hood and everything. The window is clean cuz it was down when I went under. The left side of my body pretty much matched the truck. I swear I'm still cleaning mud out of my ear. lol The dash and inside of the window got it pretty good too. 10 bucks at the car wash got most of it off. What doesn't come off is character.

wcss02.jpg

Zap, it's a V6 truck, and the intake box looks a lot different than yours. It's one of those circular panel filter deals, and it has a molded plastic cone pulling from behind the headlight, not the best spot for a truck that was intended to be offroad capable. The water didn't even come up over the hood, at least when I blew mine there was a wave coming up the windshield...

And who's throwing blame around? I watched from the bank as the owner of the truck blew his motor up in a pond of his chosing. It's obvious he f'd up and broke his own truck. There's no loose blame there. I just helped remedy the situation afterward.

As for my hook, I did warn them it wasn't anchored very well, and the driver of the yota was ducking every time I hit the end. Mabe it's worse because we knew what would happen and did it anyways?

The wagon has pulled an extended cab tacoma on 32's that was buried to the bumpers in thick mud out... with a chain. That was ugly. So it does work as an extraction tool for yota's. If I had all 4 cyl's, I could have pulled this yota out of the woods myself.

The right way to do it would be to call in the friend with the 6x6 2.5 ton with the PTO winch, and pull the truck out and load it on the flatbed. Unfortunately, such a friend doesn't exist in this neck of the woods, so you're stuck with bouncing trucks off the end of a rope.

Like Rummy sez,

"you go offroading with the rig you have, not the rig you wish you had."

It wasn't mud that killed his engine, or the soob's engine previously, it was water. Do you hate water too? Good luck getting into mud 4 feet deep with a stock truck, or most other trucks for that matter.

obviously....but if there wasn't mud involved, the extraction wouldn't have been such an ordeal.

I love water crossings. as long as there's pretty solid ground underneath it, and the water is rather clean.

I'm not pointing the finger of blame. I've had my fair share of damage extracting buddies rigs who did something stupid. I've also told a few people that there's no way I'm destroying my rig because they got in over their head.

I love water crossings. as long as there's pretty solid ground underneath it, and the water is rather clean.

Sounds like a bath tub would be your prime water crossing.

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist :headbang:

Sounds like a bath tub would be your prime water crossing.

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist :headbang:

yea, that's about right :cool:

there's a crossing at the iron range orv park that's got nice hardback ground under it that's a lot of fun. not really challenging, but entertaining, and no worries doing it alone.

I heard the engine sucking water noise from the bank as he redlined first in the water, then wham it was over. I knew this noise from when I killed my EA82. [/quote

]:banghead: Ouch. As one of my physicist friends said, trying to run water in your pistons is the mechanical equivalent of dividing by zero. Doesn't work....

Things like this is why I want a winch.... :grin: I saw three ATV's with winches pull a Dodge Hemi out of a snowy ditch (to be honest, he was in the ditch because he tried to pull my suby out of the snowdrift and started sliding sideways. Fun fun.

• 2 weeks later...

How is this non-soob offroading? I used my Soob to drag the damn yota out of the first hole and out of the woods, which is a lot more challenging than a plain old trailride.

Some lady called the cops on us for towing it down the street. Didn't like the looks of the whole situation. Lucky I was moving by then and they didn't run across us. I know the NewIpswich police chief knows who I am and my wagon, and he doesn't really like me. Found out from the police notes: "reported illegal towing on river road"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised you were able to move that yota in that muck. When I got my sportage sunk the the muck, my bro's ej22 powered wagon didn't even buge me. All he did was bounce off the other end of the tow strap. Dad's f350, after some yanking, finaly got me out. However, everytime my brother or sister would get they're roo stuck, they were usually able to pull each other out, with a little work.

Yes, Subarus are much lighter than yotas or sportages.