Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 OBW Oil Pump Seal Help!!

I have an oil drip from the front of the engine on my '98 OBW with

64K on it. I bought it new and have routinely changed the oil every 3-4K. I've not had any other issues with this car.

My research on this board and others indicates that this oil leak is either the oil pump 'O' ring , loose backing plate for the oil pump, or cam seal or valve cover gaskets.

I tend to think it is the oil pump 'O' ring.

My question:

What else should I replace while my mechanic is doing the oil pump O ring? Thanks!:rolleyes:

I would say main seal, oil pump o-ring, re-loctite oil pump back cover screws, cam seals, timing belt, valve cover gaskets, valve cover bolt gaskets, spark plug hole gaskets, and PCV valve. Make sure he checks the timing belt idlers and tensioner. Water pump and thermostat maybe depending on how much you want to spend. You want to change the water pump before it fails, because if it seizes your engine will be toast. If you do all of that work now you won't need to be in there for another 105k miles, which would put you at 169k. I changed my water pump at 120k when I did the head gaskets.

i agree with 99obw's advice. at 70k on my 97, the water pump seemed to be in good condition, but i replaced it anyway (i had ordered it ahead), especially knowing that i wasn't planning to be in that area for another 100k miles. i did find a bad idler pulley, so it is real important to have them checked...

Based on records of parts I have obtained at the local dealer and prices from Auburn Subaru (better prices) I estimate roughly $300 for parts, more or less depending on where you get them. I will guess that labor will be about an equal amount more, or $600 +-$100 ($500-$700)total. That includes the water pump and thermostat, and doesn't include any idlers or the tensioner.

There are some gaskets that go on the timing belt covers that you may want to replace based on condition that I haven't included here.

The DOHC Phase I really is a fascinating engine, are you sure you don't want to do it yourself. :brow: Just kidding...

BTW: Keeping the PCV valve changed may prevent oil leaks. It pulls a gentle vacuum on the oil side of things and "holds it in" so to speak. When they go bad the pressure that builds can force oil out.

Just saw your most recent post.

First of all you need to get the oil leak fixed. I don't know the minimum to do that in your case but the estimate I gave should serve as a worst case. The timing belt absolutely has to be changed due to oil exposure. If your timing belt breaks so will your wallet. Everything needs to be cleaned of oil. Make sure the PCV valve gets changed. That should get you to 100k.