Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scarry Happening

You know how nervous i am about my car and it leaving me stranded. Well someone told me that i should degreese my engine. So i went with him to the car wash we sprayed the degreaser on it and scrubbed it real good. scrubed the car real good i mean and the engine we let the degreeser doo the work and hosed it off lightly. go to start it up. just turns over doesnt start. so imedately im pissed. now this has happened to me before something gets wet let it dry and then try. 3o minutes latter it still didnt start so now im panacking thinking im gonna half to get someoen from here to help diagnose it for me. after 40 minutes it starts runs really really bad. probally stuff was still wet. so now i have a clean engine bay and a car that runs ok. it has started being hard to start. ive got to give it the little tap on the gas to start (its not carburated) and it still needs the current 5 minutes warming up time if you dont want to give it a fit. will a tuneup most likely solve my problem here. im noticeing slow acceleration and the buckyin and herky jerky.

Ben

You most likely got the distributor wet. The SPFI distributors have a wheel with 180 notches in it, then an optical sensor. If you get water in the sensor anywhere, it will not like you.

Best bet, take the distributor cap off, take the rotor off, then take the dust shield off. You'll see the wheel and optical sensor. If its wet, let the air dry it out. Also make sure the rotor and cap aren't wet either.

Sounds like a wet disty. Have to take it apart and dry it. I always powerwash my suby engine, and have never had problems, but I powerwashed the engine on a friend's mitsubishi pickup once... started, but ran like total crap on the way back to my house. An hour later it would not start at all. Took disty cap off, and it was all wet -- carefully dried it out with a paper towel, and it ran great again.

Z

... hmm seems to me that you have a wet disty, IS THERE AN ECHO IN HERE?????? im just playing :) that wrap it in a plastic bag joke is good,

hey but if you leave your car running and then it dies because you got something wet, then your equally screwed, because I know your not paying attention to what you sprayed when it died......... :confused: what did i just say?

... hmm seems to me that you have a wet disty, IS THERE AN ECHO IN HERE?????? im just playing :) that wrap it in a plastic bag joke is good,

hey but if you leave your car running and then it dies because you got something wet, then your equally screwed, because I know your not paying attention to what you sprayed when it died......... :confused: what did i just say?

The car was off when i sprayed it but all is well now. It was due for plugs wires cap and rotor but i only had time to change out the plugs and wires Definately needed it. Stupid parts store sold my brother the cheep borg warner plugwires and one of them is 2 short to do so only 3 got done but it runs like a champ now. IM going to get those magnacore wires and finish it up right. get the cap and rotor at that time as well.

My brother was all mad because i was going to take the muffler off because it would make it louder he said. (he used to own the car). i was like take a look underthere and tell me how much of it is left. he did and said o so i made him take the old one off. Saved most of the pipe though. Funny thing was it was louder it sounds like a pissed off wrx now lol. Oh well. Thanks for the help though guys as usuall right as rain.

Ben