Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Troy's wagon mis-adventure- wheel falls off!!

Troy just picked up a 84 GL wagon, to end his troubles of the 80 + 83 wagon...

we got to my house from fall city just fine, then we had to do a quick radiator install, and a tune-n-wash..

then when he went to go home, he got about 10 blocks from my house, and i got a phone call- "Austin, can you come get me?? i need a jack, a spare tire (unless i find mine) and some lug nuts"

his front drivers wheel fell off after going around a corner in the neighborhood!!!

but we got it fixed, unfortunately, the brakes are more than used up, the rotors are half way eaten up!!! (its way past metal to metal! it ate thru the vents in the center of the rotors!!!!)

here is what happend-

http://usmb.net/albums/albuo36/DSCN1354.jpg

and to make my day "better" this is all at about 1am, and I have work at 8am!

Sucks doesn't it. I had my wheel fall off when I was on my way to TX. I was doing about 80-85. When my wheel fell off it threw me off the road into a cornfield. I was lucky there were no cars or trucks next to me. (And I wasn't on a bridge or next to a huge drop off) I got buried in the field though. Good thing I was carrying my floor jack and that I had some spare lugs behind the seat. Threw my alignment waaaay off, messed up my fender, melted the bottom of my balljoint (Don't have to worry about that one popping out). Overall, a very fun experience, and what makes it funny is when you are doing 80-85 and when your wheel falls off you see it flying by you as you are being thrown from the highway. Would I do it again, sure, if I had the spare time/money and no one gets hurt. :grin: Boz

i had a simmilar situation involving a ford. we had a new rotor put in the ranger and i guess it was a hair slimmer than stock. the mechanic we took it to torqued the lugnuts to specs, but instead of the lugnut being fully seated, it was all the way against the top of the lug. closed lugnuts. so when everything was torqued to spec, it was only holding like halfway. well my mom was on a luckily low speed turn and the wheel fell off. the lugnuts pulled through. i went and talked to the mechanic who said it wasn't his fault! i beat his rump roast and then he fixed it. assault charges though. i got away with it because he started it and i only hit him 3 times. the reason that i was so pissed was the fact that she was on her way to go up the mountain to go skiing. careful w/those lugs fellas.

30" tires + 2 lug nuts + Brat = same situation. I was testing out my new tires before I could get the rims drilled out, and I snapped off the two lug nuts holding on the wheel, luckily it was a fairly low speed operation (bout 25-30mph), but it was definatly interesting. The people having a barbque in the back yard that the tire flew into were a little shocked also.