Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry to tell ya, that a faux scoop - no functioning purpose other than for looks, unless it has been modified with a Turbo (unlikely). Turbos were not available on stock Outbacks until the 2005 MY.

http://www.cars101.com/outback_archive98-99.html

The basic 2.5L (phase I and II) is a good engine. The mid to late 90s has some issues though with the Head Gaskets: http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html

If you're looking for a 2.2 or 2.5 Turbo, I can tell you I relish my 05 OBW 2.5 Turbo, which now has 42K. Very strong pull when the turbo starts to spool up, and just forces a smile out of me everytime. It **requires** 91 octane, and there is a penalty in gas mileage when a heavy foot is driving. For high mileage and age in terms of performance, reliability and maintenance opinions, those who own them will chime in to tell ya what they think.

Definitely check the coolant overflow tank for any oily milkyness. That would have been the 2.5L dohc phase I which could get the blow exhaust into coolant issue. It's possible the HG's were already replaced, hopefully with the new MLS type.

And any AWD Subaru you want to check for torque bind before buying.

Well the 1999 didn't work out. We opted for a 96 Legacy Outback with 108000 miles and a manual 5 speed. The engine runs strong and the manual in my opinion is much better suited for the 2.2 than the auto. It is not the dog that the 95 with the auto was.

Thanks for the replies though.

Mike, KD7GHZ:)

Well the 1999 didn't work out. We opted for a 96 Legacy Outback with 108000 miles and a manual 5 speed. The engine runs strong and the manual in my opinion is much better suited for the 2.2 than the auto. It is not the dog that the 95 with the auto was.

Thanks for the replies though.

Mike, KD7GHZ:)

Good to hear you found a car you like, enjoy you new Subie..!