Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New format for my questions:

First, how I'm going about it:

SYMPTOM:What's wrong.

PROBABLE CAUSE:What I think is wrong, may include several items.

SOLUTION:What I think will fix it. If left blank, then i haven't a clue; either way, input is desired for this field.

Why this format: I'm freakin' long winded and I want to ask alot with fewer words. I don't want to scribble out an epic to tell you "what's that thunking sound?"

So, here we go:

(Keep in mind its all about Junior, 88 GL Sedan)

SYMPTOM: Passenger side speakers sometimes turn off.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Bad wires, old stereo.

SOLUTION: Short of rewiring and replacing the stereo, none.

SYMPTOM: Occasional squeaking (squeak squeak squeak squeak)from driver's front brakes, esp. after long right turns.

PROABLE CAUSE: Dusty brake pads & warped/bowed disc.

SOLUTION: Resurface disc.

SYMPTOM: Grinding from driver's front brakes durring hard stops (grr grr grr).

PROBABLE CAUSE: Warped/bowed disc, worn pads.

SOLUTION: New pads, so, resurface disc...?

This one's the stickler:

SYMPTOM: Thunking noise (no pattern to it, thunk thunk pause thunk, etc.)when decelerating without brakes, can happen any speed, but usually 25-45MPH, never when in neutral, and very rarely when using brakes.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Backlash in tranny gears or engine to tranny connection, bad half axle.

SOLUTION: ?? Axles seem ok, passed "tight turning" tests and hands on jerk test.

SYMPTOM: Nice long cloud of bluish smoke from exhaust after long, sharper right turns at speed. Acompanied by *poot poot* sounds. Note:this has only happened twice.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Oil in Driver's side cylinders due to turning (i.e. oil going <- that way).

SOLUTION: ??

SYMPTOM: Added 3 quarts of oil, 1 quart of stop leak/stop smoke/high milage goo; level on dipstick reads as almost none (better than the dry stick I pulled out before adding this, I suppose) ... 1hr, 1 day, and 1 week later. Pretty sure 4 quarts was near full. No oil on ground or underneath, no positive evidence of burning oil, except as above. Oil press is 45psig at speed, near 0 at idle; no warning lights.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Dipstick sucks? Big hole someplace? Blown HGs?

SOLUTION: aside from possible HGs (no other evidence to support at this time), I haven't a clue.

SYMPTOM: Extremely tight steering. Zero play in the steering wheel. Vicki had some, every other car I've ever been in had some, Junior has none. Not 100% sure this is even a problem. Level in the PS fluid res is full. Makes driving in a cross wind a challenge. Makes things like sneezing fun, though.

PROBABLE CAUSE: ??

That should be it for now. Thanks in advance.

~CZMB~

Full service on front brakes, take them apart, make sure stainless shims are still there, and everything free. In this neck of the woods we do not re-surface rotors, brand new (from China) cost me $15.

Thunking noise

Re-check after you fool with brakes, check drive shaft if equipped, transmission mounts?.

Nice long cloud of bluish smoke from exhaust after long, sharper right turns at speed

Check PCV valve and system (hose routing)

Added 3 quarts of oil

See above

Extremely tight steering.

Check steering rack while fooling with brakes, this is un-usual, maybe try adjusting steering rack pinion (but I would suspect something broken in there causing binding, or oil contamination with metal, meaning rack/pump time).

This is where I would start looking on these items, keeping looking, until I found the problem(s).

SYMPTOM: Passenger side speakers sometimes turn off.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Bad wires, old stereo.

SOLUTION: Short of rewiring and replacing the stereo, none.

SYMPTOM: Occasional squeaking (squeak squeak squeak squeak)from driver's front brakes, esp. after long right turns.

PROABLE CAUSE: Dusty brake pads & warped/bowed disc.

SOLUTION: Resurface disc.

SYMPTOM: Nice long cloud of bluish smoke from exhaust after long, sharper right turns at speed. Acompanied by *poot poot* sounds. Note:this has only happened twice.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Oil in Driver's side cylinders due to turning (i.e. oil going <- that way).

I like the format!

Speakers, probably a bad ground. Pull the cover on the speaker and make a visual inspection. A lot of times the little tabs that hold on the speaker terminals become loose.

Just another possibility for things changing after long turns... Wheel bearing might be old. Extra play lets it push the brake pad back into the caliper, thus causing a different noise. Its a long shot....

There is a fix for the g-force blue cloud. The PVC system was designed improperly. There is a subaru part number for the fix. Oil is getting into the intake because of mismatched hose sizes in the PVC system. I'm trying to search for a relevant thread to get that part number.

My 87 GL had the smoke screen and all it took to fix it was 2 T connectors, a larger diameter hose to match the larger one on the intake boot, which it will connect to, and a plug for the small hose that you need to get rid of. A new PCV valve never hurts, nor does cleaning out the other hoses to make sure all the oil is out. These parts can be found on any newer ea82 so it may be worth going to the junkyard or PNP to get the parts. Below are images of the intake boots to show you what I'm talking about.

EA82intake1.jpgEA82intake2.jpg

Here are my observations on a couple of your symptoms:

SYMPTOM: Grinding from driver's front brakes durring hard stops (grr grr grr).

PROBABLE CAUSE: Warped/bowed disc, worn pads.

~CZMB~

SOLUTION: besides checking the brakes - This could be wheel bearings, or it may be the axle castle nut isn't tight enough, which can be a real pain to get quietened down. check this thread :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27251

PROBABLE CAUSE: Oil in Driver's side cylinders due to turning (i.e. oil going <- that way).~CZMB~

SOLUTION: nvexplorer has the cure for you. This is the "long right hand curve" syndrome. Subaru has a kit for it, but some fittings and hose will fix you right up.

Had a mechanic tell me I needed an $800 valve job to fix this!

Bllu is another generation but i just went through this

Blu was hard to turn the wheel. There was a mysterious thunking noise from the right front wheel (i thought it was the torn axle boot and bad axle- replaced-still there). Road noise from the front of the car. Once in a blu moon grinding (just replaced roto and brakes.

The problem was the wheel bearing. The prrof was two things. A mysterious vibration at 70 now started at 60, and once when i changed lanes, the tire followed the seam in the cement for a split second instead of my input.

Wheel bearing was shot.

nipper

Intermittent speakers can be due to bad coils. They get stuck, and won't move, so no sound, then a good bump, or a big shot of power (bass drum thump, or someone playing with the volume control) will jar them loose, and they will work again - for awhile.

Cure is a new speaker.

If it is both speakers on the same side, look at the connectors in the wiring harness. Could be the stereo, too. But look at the simple stuff first.

Rob.

I misused a word when describing the steering issue. Its not tight to turn, the steering wheel and front wheels turn easily... Its that there is no free play in the steering system. None. Zero. Like when you can grab the steering wheel and turn it one way or the other and nothing happens for the first little bit. Junior doesn't have that.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom thus far. I'll look into solutions as time permits and fill you all in as I get to them.

~CZMB~

I misused a word when describing the steering issue. Its not tight to turn, the steering wheel and front wheels turn easily... Its that there is no free play in the steering system. None. Zero. Like when you can grab the steering wheel and turn it one way or the other and nothing happens for the first little bit. Junior doesn't have that.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom thus far. I'll look into solutions as time permits and fill you all in as I get to them.

~CZMB~

That is called "Ideal."

It isn't very common; I am not surprised that you aren't familiar with it. :grin:

Darndest thing.

Castle nut was loose.

Very loose.

Just loose enough to fit the slit ring washer thingie in there. If it was there. Makes me wonder what happened to it. Tightened the nut and *POOF* no more bad issues. So far.

As to the stereo: Its almost 20 years old. The speakers are fine, just the pass side ones both go out. Nearest I can tell (after taking the stereo out) is that it is internal on the stereo, nothing I can do except replace it. Heck, Its more than what Vicki had just having it in there and turned off, so I'm happy enough with it.

Looking into the PCV thing. I don't often take long sharp right turns, so I'm good for now. Oil level, while it hasn't been more than just below the "L" hole on the dipstick is steady at least. As soon as I have a spare $3 or so I'll add more oil.

I still don't like the 3at; but having Junior dust that ricer from a dead stop and watching him get pulled over while trying to catch up made me feel a tad better about it. EA82 POWER!:burnout:

~CZMB~

P.S. Anyone have an "EA82 POWER!" bumper sticker? I might fiddle with that idea if one isn't already out there.

~CZMB~

Sounds like the rubber donut has been removed, or replaced with a VW aftermarket urethane donut. I've done both - on my wagon because of the way the EA81's with power steering are setup it was easier to just remove the dang thing when I lifted it - thus no play at all in it's steering. On my Brat I used the VW urethane donut and it's also quite tight (and the donut is RED - COOL!).

At any rate take a look at the steering linkage and see if someone didn't just remove it completely. Personally I like them tight and accurate like that..... it's a hell of a lot better than a 20 year old spongy rubber donut feel anyway. Just have to be careful about how you steer it.

GD