Ultimate Subaru Message Board

300zx turbo-> hardbody pickup

So an 84 nissan 300zx turbo shows up in the junkyard. Sports car's aren't really my thing, and it would cost $300 to get the whole car, which I don't want. So I'm thinking to grab all the turbo manifolds, piping, and electricals and waiting for a nice SE-V6 hardbody pickup to come along. The 3l motor in the ZX and in the hardbody is the same basic block. It looks like the turbo would fit between the motor and the steering shaft in the pickup (I had one to compare to right next to it). The firewall would have to be modified to fit it in the pickup, but nothing the sledgehammer and a welder couldn't fix. The drivers side engine mount would definiately have to be moved.

Can you even imagine the fun you could have with a turbo pickup? No weight on the back end, so endless burnouts, and 4wd for when you want to haul arse.

Nope, they're both cast iron blocks. I checked with a magnet.

The R200 in the rear ISN'T a LSD. I was pissed. Other than the lsd, the zx was loaded. "bodysonic" seats, accelerometer, compass, auto climate control, electronically variable ride control, electric adjustable seat side bolsters, mirror T-tops, digi-dash... the list goes on.

The alternator looks like it needs to be on the other side of the engine for the turbo vs the non-turbo engine, so I'll need the turbo brackets for that stuff. Plus the turbo engine mount is further forward on the block, so I'll need that.

Oh, and the engine code is an VG30(ET)

Ok, so I did a bit of research. The car in the junkyard is an Automatic 50th anniversary edition which makes it one of *drumroll* 1,223 ever made. It has everything down to the gold key and the embrodiered floormats. Makes me feel kinda bad raping it for parts, and it only has 77k miles on it.

Get the whole car and use the entire wiring harness and engine, don't just swap the turbo bits over to the non-turbo engine, from what I remember off the 510 board back in the day, the VG30 turbo and VG30 N/A are like the EJ22T and EJ22 N/A, the blocks/internals are beefier on the turbo.

And I think it must have been after a certain year they switched to the aluminum block then, I can't remember...

It's been bouncing around, and no one put the effort in to fix it right. Apparently it ran, but badly, and a shop had said that the timing belt had jumped a tooth. It's not that hard to do a T-belt on these, but it ended up going to the junkyard just because people were lazy. Sad thing was a friend of mine had talked to the guy about it and expressed interest in buying it about a week before it went to the J/Y. Probably could have picked it up for $150. Body's not bad, bit of rust in spots, but really clean for a 23 year old car.It's got dents in the rockers and the really rare fiberglass sill with gold turbo lettering got crunched on the passenger side by the loader. Oil pans have holes in them as does the gas tank from draining it.