Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which connector?

Need a little help here. 92 Loyale 5-sp, 4wd, NA engine, no A/C. Which of these connectors do I hook up to read the trouble codes? Green/green, white/white, or??? What are the yellow and black multi-terminal female conn.'s for?:confused: :confused: The other pic shows a couple of orphans originating in the Alt. harness. Can anyone help with these?post-1508-136027624836_thumb.jpg

post-1508-136027624846_thumb.jpg

This is the second time I've posted this today. Wonder if there'll be a third:

If the CEL is on, do not plug any in. The ECU will flash the codes at you that are present.

If you want to see what codes have occured in the past (only really useful if the CEL is intermittent), connect the white/black connectors.

If you want to run a dealer-check mode, connect the green ones. There's actually a whole procedure for running the D-Check. So, its really not useful unless you know what the procedure is.

NOTE: The CEL doesn't flash. There's an LED on the side of the ECU that flashes.

Thanks guys. hush, I sorta guessed they might be for a/c. Mike, I don't have any black and white connectors in that group pictured. Do you mean the pair of white ones or is there another set I have missed? (And thanks for your patience re: multiple answers:), yes, I want the history as the CEL is momentary at cold start and the fast idle is all over the place) )

OK, got the following (historical) trouble codes: 11, 13, 21,24,31. First two refer to crank angle sensor. 21 is coolant temp sensor. Don't know what 24 is. 31 is throttle position sensor. That's according to the USRM item for a 89 EA82 SPFI so my questions are: 1) same codes for a 92?, and 2) car runs great after 2-5 minute warmup, CEL comes on only at cold start with a very erratic idle, should I worry?

I would reset the codes first and see what comes up. It's possible but doubtful that all of those things need fixed. Code 24 is the Air Control Valve and it could cause your symptoms.

From the USRM:

1988 and Later Models With Single-Point Fuel Injection --

CODE PROBABLE CAUSE

11 Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit

12 Starter Switch or Circuit

13 Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit

14 Fuel Injector - Abnormal Output

21 Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit

23 Air Flow Meter or Circuit

24 Air Control Valve or Circuit

31 Throttle Sensor or Circuit

32 Oxygen Sensor or Circuit

33 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) or Circuit

34 EGR Solenoid or Circuit

35 Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit

42 Idle Switch or Circuit

45 Kick-Down (Detent) Relay or Circuit

51 Neutral Switch Continuously in the On Position

55 EGR Temperature Sensor or Circuit

61 Parking Switch or Circuit

I gather it's not just a simple battery disconnect?

That's what I do. Disconnect the battery, hit the brakes (the brake lights discharge any residual electricity), and wait about 30 minutes. Then I reconnect it. That will make sure the ECU doesn't remember anything.

There is an actual procedure, but I never remember what it is.