Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3AT weird noise?

'86 SPFI with a 3AT.

Has governor issues, when warmed up it shifts fine, but makes a soft, whining type noise throughout all the gears (really low noise, radio covers it up) This occurs when cold or warm, it makes no difference.

I did a drain and fill around 4K ago, and the pan was full of black sludge, but no metal particles. Filter was nasty, but also did not have any metal particles.

Fluid level is OK, I'm going to check it again just for S&G here in a second....

BTW: I've noticed a LOT of cars make this same weird noise, Fords, Hondas, etc. It's just that... I don't want mine making noise at all :lol:

What could it be? Front pump? Governor? Blinker fluid? :lol:

Okay, so I just pulled the vacuum modulator line.... and out came ATF :dead: :dead:

But I didnt lose any fluid; yet all of my vacuum lines have ATF (I think) inside of them...

I JUST replaced the modulator, too! What the...

***EDIT***

The car never smoked, and never seemed to lose fluid since I did the flush. So....

I ran the car with the vacuum hose coming from the modulator off, got all the gunk out of the vacuum line, put it back on, and took her for a spin about half a mile or so. Now when I disconnect the hose, nothing comes out.

Maybe it was just old fluid from before that got stuck down there? Does that sound about right?

Either way, looks like the modulator is fine, and the car doesnt shake at idle nearly as bad as it did before...

Not to mention the noise kinda subsided!

Sometimes you need to go out and buy that 500 watt power amp to fix the noise.

You may just be hearings the gears meshing. If the car is shifting fine, noise levle fairly constant, I wouldnt worry about it.

You may just want to change the fluid.

nipper

Something's telling me the oil in the vacuum lines was not ATF, but engine oil.

So I cleaned out the PCV system... got LOADS of hard black stuff out of the PCV lines. :dead:

If the PCV is crappy, can that happen? (Oil in the intake)

Yes. Replace the pcv valve

nipper