Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Man, my Subaru is heavy!

'92 Loyale: ~2700 lbs.

'83 RX-7: ~2250lbs

'88 Daihatsu Charade: ~1850lbs.

:D I recall when I got it, I thought it was so light handling. Then my vehicles swapped around a bit, and it's now my heavy pig.

Needs an EJ22 and some suspension work. :-)

</pointless thread>

-=Russ=-

• Like 1

My old Mazda pickup truck only weighs 2600 empty... but I can put 1400 lbs in there, so GWVR is probably more than the EA82.

Wonder how much a brand new outback wagon weighs.... we have one as a company car and even with the EJ25, it feels slower than my EA82 wagon sometimes... alot heavier car. And in reality, much faster... just feels really big. Though not as big as the Izuzu NPR... that's about 8,000lbs empty :grin:

My wagon is not quite the lightest vehicle I have.

Its about 50 pounds heavier than the Kia :lol: (Funny thing is, the Kia came with about 35HP more than the turbowagon)

Both are in the 2700's

Then theres the Acura at ~3600

And the truck at god knows how much :lol:

2700 lb loyale? wow, is that with a full tank, 5 passengers, and a spare engine in the back :lol:

seriously though, that does sound heavy....

compared to other AWD cars though, it's pretty light. I've been driving my dad's '94 LGT for about a month.....and my god is that thing slow in comparison :eek:

Plus the RX7 has a very small rotary engine. I don't know what they weigh but I believe they are only 80 ci (1.3L?). It also has a very good HP/Displacement ratio, NA 2:1 I think. I wonderwhat it would be like in a Sube...

Last time I threw the brat up on the logging scale it tipped 1890 with a 1/4 tank.

are brats really that light? that really makes me happy to hear and plays very well into the plans i have for my brat. hehehe

2700 seems a bit hefty for a loyale, my impreza only tips the scale about 28xx with the auto tranny, i think they come in about 2810 with the manual. i want to say that the auto box adds like 50 or 60 lbs to the wieght of the car.

i thought the loyale/gl/rx/ect... cars were about 2400-2500lbs. or something like that.

eh, i might be very wrong too, im not afraid to admit that, lol.

oh yeah, from what ive been told, rotaries are actually rather heavy for their size, something about wieghing only like 45lbs less than a chevy 350 or something like that. granted, this info comes from a friend that worked for a mazda tuning shop.

2700 seems a bit hefty for a loyale, my impreza only tips the scale about 28xx with the auto tranny, i think they come in about 2810 with the manual. i want to say that the auto box adds like 50 or 60 lbs to the wieght of the car.

just looked in my '89 FSM. and a 5MT 4WD GL wagon (wagons being the heaviest) has a curb weight of 2615. and the 3AT 4WD versions only weighing 15lbs more than that. but having moved both a 3AT and a DR 5MT, they must be on a diet elsewhere....cause that tranny weighs alot more than 15lb extra!!

sedan being the lightest at 2450, with the 3-door close behind at 2505

I just noticed, the 4AT GL-10 turbowagon has a curb weight of 2900 lbs! with the SR FT4WD 5MT turbo at only 2790.....huh

weight_c.jpg

weight_a.jpg

per 89 FSM fragment.

SR == S/R single range

All vehicles in the US have the GVWR, specific to that car, printed on the VIN tag on the doorjamb. Either in the same area, sometimes on the door, sometimes in the glovebox. the also list the gross weight of cargo and passengers combined (~800 pounds in the GL/Loyale IIRC) Any car, find GVWR, find gross payload capacity, subtract payload from GVWR, == that cars weight as it rolled off the assembly line and got its VIN tag.

hey daeron.. any 4wd wagon specs?

honestly, those are bitmap images I made from hitting "print screen" while viewing the applicable pages of the FSM in the partial PDF fragment.. and I didn't notice that I left that out, odd.

The more I think about it, I THINK I was only after wheelbase figures for some odd reason? I dunno.

here.

weight_4wd_wagon.JPG

weight_fwd_sedan.JPG

• 8 years later...

My 93 Loyale wagon 2wd 3AT, power windows says on the door tag:  3670 GVWR,  900 max load =  2770 curb weight.  Guess that 3AT tranny must be REALLY BE HEAVY, cause there is no drive shaft or rear differential or real axles but "trailer arms/3rd member in VW talk, I thought it would weigh less than a 5 speed with 4WD? here's a few of views of it up on a rack showing the rear suspension, etc.

Hard to imagine it weighs 400 pounds more that the 84 2wd 5speed EA81 no options wagon = 1048 kg. net = 2305 pounds in this thread?

Underside view up on rack - Cargo area, Gas tank and rear suspension (looking towards front)

Underside view up on rack - passenger area,catylitic converts and exhaust pipe (looking towards front)

here's a little more zoomed in on the trannie area, it looks pretty heavy I guess

Up on a rack - looking towards 3AT transmission and engine area from rear of the rack

Edited by Craigar

Subaru have been working in the opposite direction of the Lotus formula (reduce weight and simplify) for decades. My Brumby feels light compared to an L-series wagon I bought for the gearbox years ago, and isn't even comparable to the first gen Forester I gutted for the EJ20 & driveline. And the first gen Forester is tiny compared to the current bloated pig of a design.

I recall on a stock Brumby the heaviest individual part was the gearbox at about 80kg. The engine was a little less, including the ancillaries (but excluding the insanely heavy AC bracket, which was just a crazy bit of design and should have been cast alloy).

If you compare a stock L-series wagon to a comparable vehicle from Toyota / Nissan / etc of the same era, I'd guess the Subaru would be ~70kg heavier. An interesting comparison would be the Toyota ripoff 4wd station wagon (can't recall the name, but it was basically a Corolla platform stretched with 4wd and a tailgate that looked like a soda vending machine)...